strange behaviour after clean-install and overall-update

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
npfp

strange behaviour after clean-install and overall-update

Post by npfp »

Hello !
First of all, t h a n k s for this magnificent OS !
This is my first post, please excuse my english-mistakes ('coming from Germany :-))....
After installing, I did an overall-update of the system (as beeing notified from "mintupdate"). Then, being curious about synaptic proposals, I did a second overall-update inside synaptic, providing again some ~200MB of downloads. Everything performed obviously well, I noticed among others a new kernel (2.6.28-15-generic) beeing installed... After synaptic finished, I decided to restart the system (old Windows-behavior....), and then to change the update-policy to "only '1' and '2' -class-updates" in the "mintupdate"-configuration dialogue. But the problem just occurred when trying to start "mintupdate" out of the "Menu", I received a message (of course in 'german', so I try to traduce it...) telling me: "No mouse-access possible. Potentially malware is listening to your session or you have choosen a menu or an application has reserved the focus. Please try again." That's what I did, same result. So I thought about maybe a conflict between the notifier in the tray and the strter in the menu and ended the notifier. Still remained the same. Then I decided to start "mintupdate" through a terminal by 'sudo mintupdate', everything worked ! Unfortunately, the problem also occurde when trying to start "mintinstall" or "synaptic"... I did a desktop-shot of the error-message, here it is (attachment). I would be very pleased by an helping answer, and excuse me, but I didn't find a similar topic discussed on the forum.

bye,
npfp (naivepunkfunkproduction, lowtech-addiction)
Fehlermeldung nach Versuch, Menu-Aufruf.png
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
smsmith

Re: strange behaviour after clean-install and overall-update

Post by smsmith »

If the lock icon is in the taskbar (I'm new to Linux and prefer KDE to Gnome, so I'm not sure that's the proper term, possibly it's called the panel?), then there is no need to run mintupdate from the menu. Just click the lock icon. If your password is needed, you'll be asked for it. I think you get the error because mintupdate is already running.
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Solution on the first reply to this post :

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... &sk=t&sd=a
npfp

Post by npfp »

Hello!
thanks for your reply, unfortunately the odd behaviour(maybe my odd behavior?) persists.... You're right with your objection, no need to run the "mintupdate" from 'menu' when it's accessible in the tray, but I only started playing around with the fresh(-upgraded) system, in order to check functions, look and so on... Even after closing the 'update-notifier in the tray, the error-message keeps popping up, and the synaptic package-management button doesn't lead anymore to a start of synaptic. But when starting synaptic in the (sudo-)terminal, it works... This is a workaround, but I truly would prefer to use the well designed menu to reach the installed applications. Maybe another idea for me to try out ? I'm a very fresh "Windows-user-intermediate", but I know how to copy-paste text in a terminal... :-) , please help me out !

greetings,
npfp(naivepunkfunkproduction, lowtech-addiction)
npfp

Post by npfp »

Hello!
thanks a lot, richyrich, for your help, that exactly solved the problem I had (wich was truly said only cosmetical :-)), this is my first "ask for-and get helped-experience" in the Linux-world, it really convinces me once more....,

bye,
npfp(naivepunkfunkproduction, lowtech-addiction)

P.S.: this post can be closed !
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Glad that it worked ! :D

You can log in, go up to your first post, click Edit, and add [SOLVED] to the Subject Line . .

regards, Richy

Return to “Beginner Questions”