Delete my XP partition:

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Anaxis

Re: Delete my XP partition:

Post by Anaxis »

We can definitely help. If you know how to use gparted, simply go to a terminal, and type:

Code: Select all

sudo gparted
This will give you access to the GNOME partition editor, wherin you can delete the Windows XP partition, and expand the Mint partition to where you'd like it.

If you need help, we're here. :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Anaxis

Post by Anaxis »

That password is your account password. And don't despair that it looks like it's not typing, that's actually a security measure to prevent someone from guessing your password based on how many characters it has in it. Just ignore the fact that it's not showing anything when you type, and put in your password, then hit enter.
Anaxis

Post by Anaxis »

It's quite difficult to get rid of a Windows installation entirely, unfortunately. I'd suggest backing up all your data and starting over with a fresh hard drive.
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

stilz-ink wrote:i logged into terminal and can see all the partitions, i beleive that linux installed on the same partition as xp. is this a problem can i still delete any related xp files.... so i can strickly use linux
thanks
Since it's impossible to install linux into the same partition as windows I'm guessing you installed Mint using Mint4Win.
Did you install Mint while Windows was running and did you see a screen that looked something like this:
wubi-123.png
If so then you do not have a "true" dual boot and if you delete Windows you will delete Mint as Mint is just a file within Windows.

I may have misunderstood your quote above.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Anaxis

Post by Anaxis »

Okay, so your problem is that you used mint4win, the programme shown above, and you want to switch completely over to Mint?

Cos that's simple enough to do, if you've backed up your data.

Would you like a dual boot, or do you want a Linux-only machine?
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

stilz-ink wrote:i installed mint, It installed like the screen shot you posted, so form what i am reading it install in a folder within windows. do i need to install in a seprate location delete the windows partition and then reinstall on that newly erased drive?
is thier a way to startup from a jump drive install and erase the windows files...

sorry, hopefully the question comes off understandable

thanks
stilz-ink
Supposedly you can convert the mint4win install to a dedicated partition using LVPM. http://lubi.sourceforge.net/lvpm.html

Never used it myself. If it were me, I would boot into the min4win install, save whatever data I had to an external drive, do a real install of Mint by booting into the LiveCD, and copy the data I saved to the real install.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
Anaxis

Post by Anaxis »

I would boot into the min4win install, save whatever data I had to an external drive, do a real install of Mint by booting into the LiveCD, and copy the data I saved to the real install.
I second this. Even using an external programme like LVPM can sometimes get muddled, especially when Windows and Linux know about each other. Windows doesn't like to play nicely, especially when something tries to delete it.

You're better off doing a clean install after wiping the drive, it's just a lot less complicated, and a lot less stressful, cos there's not too much that can go wrong unless Linux screws up. But at least Windows won't.

Return to “Beginner Questions”