GRUB LOADER PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

GRUB LOADER PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!

Postby hit1808 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:41 pm

I was dual booting vista and mint gloria.
later i have Installedmint in my pendrive from the same System.The problem is, everytime i start, the grub is loading from ma pendrive
now evrytime i want to boot any O.S. ,i need ma pendrive inserted in order to load grub .i hav given separete 15gb drive in ma harddisk for mint.
.is there anyway out i can load grub frm ma harddisk like i use to do it before?????.
And if pendrive isnt inserted it throws grub error 21 during boot
hit1808
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: GRUB LOADER PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!

Postby Anaxis on Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:45 pm

Sounds like a BIOS thing.

First, shut down the computer. Then remove the USB stick.

Reboot, and go into the BIOS (more than likely F2), and make sure it's set to boot from your HDD before your removable/USB devices.

If that doesn't solve it, you may have to re-setup GRUB.
"People should better think of their computing devices as facilities lended by the DHS." -Berke Durak, Linux wipe (secure file deletion) development.
Anaxis
Level 2
Level 2

Re: GRUB LOADER PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!

Postby meskarune on Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:54 pm

If you change the boot order so the hard drive boots first, you will no longer be able to boot into the usb install on that particular computer. You should reinstall grub.

This might help: http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_repair_your_grub
The only limiting factor of the Linux operating system, is its user. -Linus Torvalds
meskarune
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions