[SOLVED] Linux mint isn't detected as ubuntu?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

[SOLVED] Linux mint isn't detected as ubuntu?

Postby PengytheDuckwin on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:18 pm

This question may sound really easy to solve, but when I try to use the "install-wine-deps.sh" script (I'm installing the Unified Kernel), I get the message "distro LinuxMint 7 not supported", though the script was meant to be used with ubuntu gutsy through karmic (which includes jaunty on which mint 7 is based on.)
I think I can avert this problem by
A: Reporting linux mint as ubuntu.
B: Somehow finding how to skip past the distro check on the script.
C: Finding all the individual packages and installing them.

(PS. Please don't say "just install wine from repos" unless you KNOW it'll work with the UnifiedKernel)
Last edited by PengytheDuckwin on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
PengytheDuckwin
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux mint isn't detected as ubuntu?

Postby Fred on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:49 pm

PengytheDuckwin,

I have never worked with this kernel so I have no clue about the problems you might encounter, though I am pretty sure there will be some. More to your question, it shouldn't be too difficult to just modify the script to accept Mint as Ubuntu.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby DrHu on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:10 pm

PengytheDuckwin wrote:(PS. Please don't say "just install wine from repos" unless you KNOW it'll work with the UnifiedKernel)

http://www.longene.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=329
No, I wouldn't say that..
--the purpose of that kernel/project is to allow a windows user to keep using windows software while providing a Linux compatible kernel to do so..

It might work, but if it was that easy, presumably the developers of the LUK, would have been able to enable that option or provide some advice on how to do it..
--their forum..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Unif ... rnal_links
http://www.longene.org/en/index.php
    The Linux Unified Kernel is a free, open-source computer operating system kernel project intended to expand the Linux Kernel to be binary-compatible with application software and device drivers not only made for Microsoft Windows but also made for Linux OS. This will enable the Windows application running on the Linux operating system highly effectively.
    Through the Linux Unified Kernel, we hoped the one who habituates to use Windows OS can continue their operation customs on Linux OS, so that third party software user purchased could be unconcerned with the platform of operating system.
--Their next kernel release using 2.6.30 is expected on 25Aug2009
    Linux Unified Kernel(Longene) 0.2.4-1 will be released on 25th August, 2009. The kernel attached in Longene is updated to 2.6.30 which provides dozens of new features, such as EXT4 file system.
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Postby PengytheDuckwin on Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:48 pm

Thanks for the quick reply
The page I found that tells me how to install it (http://www.longene.org/en/download.php#) had instructed me to use the http://wiki.winehq.org/Recommended_Packages's script first, so I assumed it was something that couldn't be done normally with APT. So, from what the forum says, I should probably install the kernel .deb first, THEN the wine one, and APT will handle what the dependencies ask for? Or should I just put it off until things are less "experimental" with the UK.
DrHu wrote:--the purpose of that kernel/project is to allow a windows user to keep using windows software while providing a Linux compatible kernel to do so..

I'm not being too, for lack of a better term, serious about this kernel, because I'm installing it on my experimental computer. Mostly, from what I understood, is that the UKernel is sort of like integrating wine (and a bit of the actual NT code from reactOS) so you can run windows apps AND linux apps in the same, linux-based OS.
PengytheDuckwin
Level 1
Level 1

Postby DrHu on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:16 am

PengytheDuckwin wrote:Or should I just put it off until things are less "experimental" with the UK.

Well, you could wait for their next release, this week approximately they say; that is 25Aug2009, which would use Linux kernel 2.6.30; probably getting a little better performance..

As to how they assemble their system LUK; I don't know and don't expect them to ever explain their process..
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Postby emorrp1 on Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:39 am

It's a really simple fix, just run this is a terminal:
Code: Select all
sed -i '/Ubuntu\*9\.04/s/Ubuntu\*9\.04/LinuxMint\ 7/'   path/to/install-wine-deps.sh
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby PengytheDuckwin on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:34 am

Thanks for the answers and the link to the forum, I fixed this overnight by installing the packages through apt-get using the names inside the script.
I'll mark this as solved now, and then I may try installing the kernel itself today. :mrgreen:
PengytheDuckwin
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions