Something I have noticed about Mint....

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Something I have noticed about Mint....

Postby DiabloCody on Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:34 am

As some of you know, I am new to Linux (although I have tried tons of different distros on and off in the past). This is my first-time installing mint in a partition and using it. I really like it quite a bit. It is a solid OS, albeit not without its hitches. I has many advantages over other OS's. I've used Cinelerra and I really liked it, unfortunately Final Cut is more what I need so I'll be getting a Mac soon.

Anyway, to get to the point, it is certainly nice that you have this community of Mint users here. These forums are great. I think the fact that software is developed by people rather than a massive corporation allows bugs and whatnot to be solved more easily. Someone can come here, ask a question and they'll get a knowledgeable answer, probably fairly quickly.

Whereas when you deal with Windows or Mac, you pretty much have to deal with Microsoft themselves (i don't think there are any Apple or Microsoft forums). There very well may be, but I can't imagine they are more of a "community" than Mint here.

Anyway, just my first impression of how much more help you can get when you're dealing with opensource stuff.

Great community. Very impressed at its organization.
DiabloCody
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Something I have noticed about Mint....

Postby markcynt on Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:20 am

There's plenty of good Windows forums, and they are the only choice of help for people that know what those forums are capable of. Some are very friendly some not so friendly, just like Linux forums.

Linux does not have the forum market cornered, but the Mint forum is one of the best forums on the net.
P5N-E SLI, Core2Duo E6850 3GHZ X 2
2 GB DDR2 800MHZ
EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
2x320GB Hitachi
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
markcynt
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Something I have noticed about Mint....

Postby sollehahn on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:17 am

i agree with both of you....i can find the answer to my questions here...fast and easy....and absolutely free... :D
sollehahn
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions