Getting [Errno5] Input output error using unetbootin

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Getting [Errno5] Input output error using unetbootin

Postby G94i on Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:53 pm

Im Getting [Errno5] Input output error using unetbootin when I try to get install teh distro ? anybody know what is going on ?
G94i
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Getting [Errno5] Input output error using unetbootin

Postby Anaxis on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:06 pm

I personally wouldn't know the exact details of it, because I used a LiveCD, but I don't think Mint will go directly onto a USB drive for some reason. If you check over at persistent pendrive Linux, they have some sort of fix that requires you to use a Windows-based machine to run a .bat file in order to prepare Mint for USB booting.

If you can prove me wrong (and chances are someone probably can, because I'm a techno-retard most days), I guess in order to eliminate any variables, check the md5 sum of your ISO file you used originally with UNetBootIn. Sometimes if you torrent the ISO as opposed to downloading it directly or through a mirror, the fact that the ISO is split up into so many parts can cause t to become corrupted when it comes back together.
"People should better think of their computing devices as facilities lended by the DHS." -Berke Durak, Linux wipe (secure file deletion) development.
Anaxis
Level 2
Level 2

Postby G94i on Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:17 pm

I checked the Md5 sum & it is ok.Unetbootin is designed to take a image file and burn it to a usb stick . :cry:
G94i
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Anaxis on Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:29 pm

Yes, I've used UNetBootIn several times before, but there seems to be an issue with Gloria that I haven't really done any research on personally, I just know that according to Persistent Pendrive, as per their instructions, you need to "fix" the file before you can put in on a USB drive.

Although that's Persistent installation, which boots only from the USB stick, and I don't know if there's an installation option in persistent pendrive use, so I have NO idea what that .bat "fix" is actually supposed to do.
"People should better think of their computing devices as facilities lended by the DHS." -Berke Durak, Linux wipe (secure file deletion) development.
Anaxis
Level 2
Level 2

Postby gremarc on Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:41 pm

ERRNO 5 is an input/output error mostly because of faulty CD/DVD-disks, drives or even faulty hard disks.
I saw this on the Ubuntu forum once (copied it to a text file for archive purpose)

Credit goes to simplysimple
Once UNetbootin has finished writing all the files to the usb
1. Open the usb so that you can view all the files/folders... you are looking for two files...
config.isoclient and config.kde.isoclient or config.gnome.isoclient the second file depends on if you are installing kde or gnome openSUSE
Delete config.isoclient
Rename config.kde.isoclient or config.gnome.isoclient depending on which one you have to config.isoclient replacing the file you deleted
Now boot from the usb device and you should get passed the error during boot.

Hope this helps in some way.
gremarc
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions