Pendrive Mint unable to load properly on HP dv2z [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
keyneom

Pendrive Mint unable to load properly on HP dv2z [SOLVED]

Post by keyneom »

I have recently created USB drive of 4GB with a permanent version of Linux Mint, I have been using it for awhile now as my "mobile computer" since I didn't have a computer at the time, things have been going well and I am pretty sure I find Linux Mint to be the best Distro for people just starting with Linux, in any case I just bought a new laptop the HP Dv2z, but for some reason when I try to boot up linux on it it doesn't work. I get the splash boot screen asking me if I want to run it permanently and I choose to do that, then it starts to try and load, a few errors occur but it's hard for me to read what they say because just after that I get the splash screen of Linux Mint trying to load, it sits there and tries for a pretty decent amount of time and then it brings me to some sort of Terminal prompt and says I can type help to see available commands. I think the errors it shows are actually the same error occurring more than once and it mentions some sort of generic module I think, and that it can't find it. I would assume there is some sort of problem with some hardware on the computer, because it loads just fine on the other laptops and desktops I have tried it on, the only thing I can imagine it being is a problem with the built in wireless n draft card I have on it. If some one could just get me pointed in the right direction so I can at least get it booting properly and I would work on trying to get compatibility with the wireless card on my own after that if that is the problem, even if it's just disabling the wireless so that it boots correctly. I can go from there. Thanks alot for the help.A relative newbie.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
keyneom

Re: Pendrive Mint unable to load properly on HP dv2z

Post by keyneom »

By the way I'm also relatively new in forums as well, is there a way I can report this as resolved or do the admins do that??
bobsmith

Post by bobsmith »

Keyneom, I have found that USB flash drive booting is rather funky. Some distros work on my hardware, some don't, and some will work only if I set up the flash drive a certain way. I tried several ways to get Mint 7 working, and this is the only one that worked for me:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/usb-linux- ... n-windows/

If that doesn't work, you might try Puppy Linux or Slax. Both of those distros have worked without a hitch for me.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

keyneom wrote:... in any case I just bought a new laptop the HP Dv2z, but for some reason when I try to boot up linux on it it doesn't work.
It is an HP only issue, and as you say worked fine on other manufacturer's notebooks..
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/366678
try post 8 suggestion..
keyneom

Post by keyneom »

thanks alot for the suggestion I'll try that out for some reason i feel like it will work, even though it doesn't seem to make too much sense to me.
keyneom

Post by keyneom »

sure enough i tested it out and things worked for the most part, the only thing now is that for some reason the keys that have number values when holding the function key down seem to use the numbers as the default value and to get the letters that are normally asigned to those keys I have to hold down the function key. It makes typing a little bit more difficult so I'll be searching to see if there is a way to fix that. Thanks as always.

Return to “Beginner Questions”