Questions about Defragging or Antivirus? Look here first!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cinnamoncoffee
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Questions about Defragging or Antivirus? Look here first

Post by cinnamoncoffee »

Id like to ask a general question about coputer security.
So I decided to install updates level 1-3, protecting my Firefox with NoScript, Https Everywhere, Adblock Plus, and SSL Version Control.
Ive installed and cofigured Apparmor to protect Firefox (i followed offcial ubuntu instructions)
I think my wifi is WPA2 and i use this laptop only at home.
Is there anything else I can do to secure my system?
Im just an ordinary firefox and open office user.

I have LM cinnamon 17
Kernel: 3.16.0-38-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.8.2) Desktop: Cinnamon 2.6.13 Distro: Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela Machine: Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X550CA
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

cinnamoncoffee wrote:Id like to ask a general question about coputer security.
So I decided to install updates level 1-3, protecting my Firefox with NoScript, Https Everywhere, Adblock Plus, and SSL Version Control.
Ive installed and cofigured Apparmor to protect Firefox (i followed offcial ubuntu instructions)

I have LM cinnamon 17
This is off-topic and would be better posted elsewhere, but the best thing you can do is review everything frequently. Check your logs. Look for things you don't understand. Unfortunately you really can't keep someone out of your computer if they really want in. :( But all but the very best crackers will leave traces, and if you can catch those traces you can take steps to block them. It's actually a lot harder to get into a computer than is popularly supposed--cracking can take days or even weeks (this assumes you don't give them a way in. Even a script-kiddie will have no problem getting in if you download and run some bait he has placed out there that gives him access to your system.) The cracking process leaves warning messages in your logs that you can review. Once you see something happening, you can then block it. Tripwire is a good weapon too--look it up!
Best to you! :D
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

cinnamoncoffee wrote:Id like to ask a general question about coputer security.

I have LM cinnamon 17
This is off-topic and would be better posted elsewhere, but the best thing you can do is review everything frequently. Check your logs. Look for things you don't understand. Unfortunately you really can't keep someone out of your computer if they really want in. :( But all but the very best crackers will leave traces, and if you can catch those traces you can take steps to block them. It's actually a lot harder to get into a computer than is popularly supposed--cracking can take days or even weeks (this assumes you don't give them a way in. Even a script-kiddie will have no problem getting in if you download and run some bait he has placed out there that gives him access to your system.) The cracking process leaves warning messages in your logs that you can review. Once you see something happening, you can then block it. Tripwire is a good weapon too--look it up!
Best to you! :D
"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy."
- Albert Einstein
mehimu

Post by mehimu »

Yes, it was a great post, actually i was in indecision about the antivirus using here.
Killua

Post by Killua »

Thank You, I'm somewhat New to Mint, coming from Lubuntu :D
Kerenaj

Post by Kerenaj »

mehimu wrote:Yes, it was a great post, actually i was in indecision about the antivirus using here.
How often do I need to defrag my laptop? I've noticed it is very slow now.
mehimu

Post by mehimu »

I was also in a hesitation about using antivirus and related activities. Your post give me a good guide line. Really nice one. Keep it up.
AntonyMagnus81
Level 1
Level 1

Post by AntonyMagnus81 »

Is scanning for malware on a Linux system needed? I would say yes even though the possibility of getting anything is remote. I see absolutely no harm at all in having a AntiVirus vendor's eyes examining your system for possible scumware. Even if the Linux community continually upgrades and looks over code you are placing your system health in the hands of someone else who coded files. Who is to say they do not have some purpose in mind that may harm Windows users and the Linux community? I would like to believe that most people have a geniune desire to freely distribute and share their software but I do not like taking chances. So do you need Antivirus? Are the following statements true?

1. Do you dual boot with a Windows platform?

2. Do you run Wine, Mono, or any other Windows on Linux software?

3. Do you trust completely other people who have designed the Linux system? If the answer is yes you may not need it, and good luck.

4. Do you run software outside of the repositories you downloaded from the Internet?

5 Do you run Java or Flash?

Do I trust everyone 100 percent completely? No, absolutely not. If any of the above questions are true for you then I suggest at the very least running a ClamAV Antivirus solution available in the repositories. Also for some myths about Linux viruses debunked I suggest you do a youtube search for Matthew Moore and see the video regarding Linux viruses as well as some other myths busted. Also do a search for Spatry which I have found out even he runs Antivirus software. My 2 bits here. :)
Pjotr
Level 23
Level 23

Post by Pjotr »

AntonyMagnus81 wrote:Is scanning for malware on a Linux system needed? I would say yes even though the possibility of getting anything is remote.
No. See: https://sites.google.com/site/easylinux ... t/security

About Matthew Moore: please read the comments on his pseudo show here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments ... _that_his/
I see absolutely no harm at all in having a AntiVirus vendor's eyes examining your system for possible scumware.
But I do:
http://www.scmagazineuk.com/security-re ... le/363271/

The paper referred to:
http://www.syscan360.org/slides/2014_EN ... nKoret.pdf

More recently this:
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2015 ... kaspersky/

And how about AV makers putting spyware in their own AV on purpose:
https://blog.avast.com/2015/05/29/avast ... cs-engine/#

Bottom line: stay away from all that useless, sad and even dangerous antivirus stuff. Only install software from trusted sources, enable your firewall on other networks than your own, use Windows software only in Windows (don't install Wine) and above all: use your common sense.

Relax, you're running Linux. :mrgreen:
Last edited by Pjotr on Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Cosmo. »

AntonyMagnus81 wrote:Do I trust everyone 100 percent completely? No, absolutely not.
But you trust AV? Why, with which substantiation?

Here is a very current case, where (taken the user's word), clamav gave 100 percent false positive.

Some more "2 bits" I wrote here.
CorsaiRally

Post by CorsaiRally »

Most of the threats will come from your browser. So setting that up properly, and using common sense, with Adblocker plus, noscript. WOT,Ghostery etc. You'll be in pretty good shape.
Aceoky

Post by Aceoky »

Thanks that is great information on rkhunter, I'm curious IF it finds something, what are the steps involved in removing such rootkits (or does rkhunter do it in auto mode?) Thanks in advance

hal8000 wrote:
andrew-lohmann wrote:
Although Linux is open source do you really think all of the source files have been read through or that just the complied object has been trusted and used?
If you download files from a distributions repository then you are absolutely 100% safe and of course all the source code has been read.

If however, you decide to download and install 3rd party software there is always a chance that the source code may have been compromised. Although linux viruses
were created in a lab as "proof of concept" none exist on the internet. There is always a chance of a rootkit so its a good idea for everyone to install rootkit hunter
and run a periodic scan, maybe once a month.
To install

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install rkhunter
To check

sudo rkhunter --update

sudo rkhunter -c
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that a rootkit, once "installed", is next to impossible to remove without a complete system reinstall.

I do know that rkhunter doesn't remove 'em, only shows (some of) where they are...
- Albert Einstein
Aceoky

Post by Aceoky »

Thank you Fred (though that was not what I had hoped to hear)
frugal

Post by frugal »

Also you do not want to defrag solid-state drives due to physical ware and tare on the transistors. SSD drives have a load balancing program that shifts data around anyway.
To even the ware on the drive.

So there is a double reason not to defrag a linux that is on a computer with a SSD drive.
frugal

Post by frugal »

um when taking into account regarding malware/antivirus. Why are we ignoring the biggest security cracker of them all, that has a strong invested interest to spy and track all of us. Especially considering we the people are seen as adversaries by NSA/FBI/CIA?

I don't care about the random security cracker. I care about the security cracker that views me as an adversary and is going out of its way to use its nearly unlimited resources to pry and invade my space. With the intent to use the data it collects on me to do harm to me down the road.

That is who I wish to protect myself from when it comes to malware protection.

Aaron swartz anyone?

So when it comes to malware protection and program that helps even to prevent the user "me" from accidentally exposing my computer to outsiders is a big bonus/necessity, and I want to know about it. Easier to learn and use the better.
marsh20
Level 4
Level 4

Post by marsh20 »

Tails Baum.org
Think about the "undo" before you "do".
zandak

Post by zandak »

I would just like to add that it is usually unnecessary to defrag a Unix like OS.(Ie, Linux,Free BSD, Solaris, OSX). Most newbies should nnot have to defrag.
snoopi

Post by snoopi »

Reading some of the posts here and laughing, literally.

If you connect to the internet and have incoming emails and nothing more you need an antivirus. More viruses, malware etc are sent via email than any other way.

Do you download everything you can get your hands on, including music, movies and pics, you need an antivirus.

Running ANY Microsoft programs on your system, even under Wine or Playonlinux, then you definitely need an antivirus.

If you watch adult content on the internet, you most definitely need an antivirus.

If you use the sudo command every time you download a program from sites you don't know is 100% safe, you need an antivirus.

So basically, if you are the average computer operator who is not as careful as one should be on the internet, you need an antivirus. There are some great free ones written specifically for Linux so your not out anything.

Each year, hell each month, more and more people come to Linux for the better and free operating system. As the numbers grow the people who write the viruses will start to include stuff to infect Linux. It's not like its hard to add a few more lines of code to infect both MS and Linux in the same bug.

JMO
Fred Barclay
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Fred Barclay »

...um...care to explain how antivirus (that, by definition, only looks for Windows executable) would be able to detect Linux malware?
The only point I'll agree with is that if you're using Wine, then antivirus might be needed. Other than that, Windows virii do not affect Linux.
snoopi wrote:It's not like its hard to add a few more lines of code to infect both MS and Linux in the same bug.
Back it up, please! I'm not being rude, but every virus I've ever looked at would be difficult to modify to run in Linux--much less actually infect Linux--certainly more than a few lines of code. It is hard!
- Albert Einstein

Return to “Beginner Questions”