Questions about Defragging or Antivirus? Look here first!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrSchism

Re: Questions about Defragging or Antivirus? Look here first

Post by MrSchism »

I do feel it necessary to point out that with the mass exodus from Windows caused by Win8 and the increasing popularity of Linux (beit Android on mobile devices, Mint topping Distrowatch, or Ubuntu getting bumped by Big Bang Theory reruns), I can say with certainty that you SHOULD have antivirus software on your linux installation. More and more people are targeting linux every day.

Some attacks are focused entirely at ubiquitous parts of your OS (For instance, Firefox, java, and the like) so they don't really revolve around the OS, but rather what's running ON the OS.

Personally, I like f-prot over the likes of Avast! Linux or ClamAV because it's much lighter and sits quietly.
Mr. Boat

Post by Mr. Boat »

I readed all the entire post, but, anyway I think I'm a little paranoid about antivirus. Back on Ubuntu I tried to install Bitdefender, with no success.

Could anyone recommend me a good AV for LM14?

About NoScript on Firefox, I think it has some parameters I don't get to understand, so I'm keeping with Flashblock.
ccline19

Post by ccline19 »

You are simply incorrect. Any OS connected to the internet NEEDS some kind of antivirus software to prevent infections or from being a carrier. To say Linux doesn't need it is absurd.
yuri21

Post by yuri21 »

Hmm, I'm gonna look into either avast, Clamav or F-prot then.

Sure, Linux is safe but at times, I do transfer files to my parents' laptops and err, they really are very bad with computers. They didn't even have any anti-virus installed for a long time on each of their laptops! :lol:
jh6932

Post by jh6932 »

othis is crazy...i have 2 RATS and 2 rootkits for linux. one rat infects solaris win mac and linux....serisouly you do need AV..the rat is called netwire, very good at remote administration but can be used as malware also. simple google seach or a trip to any forums will give u this info
Malsasa

Post by Malsasa »

Addition from me (but in Indonesian):

http://malsasa.wordpress.com/2013/01/01 ... ena-virus/

In English: Linux User 8 Years Never Infected by Virus.

You can read it by GTranslate :)
FireSoul
Level 3
Level 3

Post by FireSoul »

ddurdle wrote:
dagon wrote:Then I don't think cloning would work. I think it basically would recreate the fragmented drive like it was.
(Not that I ever use Clonezilla though (I probably should...))
I guess rsync would be the candidate if anyone ever runs into a situation requiring defragmentation on linux. I would have never suspected simply rsyncing the / file system would work. But I recently reviewed a few articles discussing easy ways of converting your existing linux install to include LUKS. But of course, you need to take care of setting up the boot up after rsync, but it'd still be relatively painless way of defragging
Hello.
I'm using antivirus on linux mint.Linux don't need it,but if you load file where are windows virus and sent it for someone who have windows,it cause there something.
Antivirus for mint you find it from packages,named Natilus calmscan and 2 part for it.You find it as search "antivirus".
Don't load and install programs from net,so you can get bad files,load only from packages using synaptic,or package manager.
On linux can be installed only when you allow it with password.

I hope for you nice times with linux mint.
hal8000
Level 4
Level 4

Post by hal8000 »

A very good first post. Just my input and I'm sure someone can beat this but I switched to linux in 1999,
and after 14 years of using linux, never lost any data never had a virus,malware or a rootkit.

As for defragging I used Debian solid for 6 years with an ext3 filesystem.
So after 6 years of everyday use, how much fragmentation sis I have ? .... just 1.6%
By contrast a fresh install of windows 7 from DVD resulted in 16% fragmentation.

Last comment I'll add is that journalled filesystems are much more reliable and
have much less wear and tear of the hard drive (because they dont fragment as much).
Should you encounter a powercut, or other unclean unmouting, a filesystem check
takes minutes, often seconds, depending on size and speed of the hard drive.
elfaure

Post by elfaure »

I've read the fastest way to get a Windows virus on your Linux distro is thru using Wine. Even thought it doesn't affect Linux, it will transfer back to Windows thru file exchanges. So if you interface with a Windows network thru Samba shares, its a good idea if using Wine to have clamav or AVG installed as a courtesy to Windows users.
Ineedhelpplease

Post by Ineedhelpplease »

I would like to add my "cent and a half" here. Regarding defragging on Linux ... I have not comment. However regarding anti-virus, ANY OS can be infected. It is just a matter of how and when one gets infected. I just recently found a product from Comodo ... Comodo Antivirus for LInux (CAV) [url]http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/antivirus-for-linux.php[/url]. I have it. I believe that I did have ClamAV and BitDefender for Linux at one time. I just wanted to let you know about the Comodo product. CAV can, according the application information, can provide real-time scanning and email scanning. Check it out if anyone is interested.
henrybear327

Post by henrybear327 »

Really nice article. This really helps me understand Linux more.
MikeF90000

Post by MikeF90000 »

Regarding file system 'fragmentation', I don't anyone has posted another consideration.

Modern 'rotating' hard drives are Much more sophisticated than their forebears and, as such, will relocate data blocks (due to detected issues) without any awareness or visibility by the operating system.

Therefore, it is probably pointless to 'defrag' partitions on your hard drive since you can't control where data blocks reside physically.
It is more important IMO to detect impending hard drive failure and, of course, backup, backup, backup your data.
silvanet

Post by silvanet »

I see a lot of references to the post about defragging and antivirus, neither of which have any relevance to the issue I raised. I am not worried about defragging nor about viruses. I just don't like an operating system hogging up disk space with leftover garbage. Windows is notorious for placing crap in your registry that stays there long after the entries are no longer necessary. Nobody seems to have given a crap about leving trash all over your hard drive. I'd like my system to by clean of all that - no matter what OS. I understand how many can let that pass and just become convinced that everything that gets dropped into your computer is innocent and you don't have to give it a second thought. i am of a different mind. So, I appreciate anyone that responded with an answer that was RELEVANT to the question asked.
phutres

Post by phutres »

Ineedhelpplease wrote:I would like to add my "cent and a half" here. Regarding defragging on Linux ... I have not comment. However regarding anti-virus, ANY OS can be infected. It is just a matter of how and when one gets infected. I just recently found a product from Comodo ... Comodo Antivirus for LInux (CAV) [url]http://www.comodo.com/home/internet-security/antivirus-for-linux.php[/url]. I have it. I believe that I did have ClamAV and BitDefender for Linux at one time. I just wanted to let you know about the Comodo product. CAV can, according the application information, can provide real-time scanning and email scanning. Check it out if anyone is interested.
Comodo is a great AV for Linux. It's primary function is searching for windows viruses.(I use it to scan my windows partition when windows is not running.) There ARE linux viruses, including one particularly nasty kit that has the ability to infect many different distributions that was very recently in the news:

[url]http://www.zdnet.com/linux-desktop-trojan-hand-of-thief-steals-in-7000019175/[/url]

The article says it requires a social engineering attack to spread, maybe it's not that bad.
dcjose48

Post by dcjose48 »

Great thread!! Still learning about Linux so looks like I have a lot to read.
Judisetic0856

Post by Judisetic0856 »

I only ask cause I'm sick of re-formatting and loosing half finished projects (I have a lot of brushes, fonts, textures, scripts, midi arrangements, drum, guitar, bass, vocal tracks you know it took a while to get it all). If I partition the drive and order a set of recovery discs from compaq will those files be able to corrupt the windows section again (even if I never open them with windows?) I've decided to make Linux my art computer because all the open source applications I use were super easy to obtain and install, I think the source of my PC issues are corrupt WebCT emails and social networking sites where I can submit my work to the masses (but if you cant get online whats the point lol). One more quick question is Wine an emulator, and does Windows have to be installed for the programs to work correctly, I want to use Reaper, 7 Zip, DVD Fab, VST's with windows .exe. I'll switch forums if I'm in the wrong spot and any direction would be much appreciated. Sorry I'm a roughneck not a computer tech, you guys are awesome.
southernpride1865

Post by southernpride1865 »

many anti-virus and/or defraggers come as individual units in "Suites", such as Iolo's System Mechanic, the old school Norton (its been so long I don't even reemember what it was called, much less if it is still around), and many others. While I understand somewhat the reasons why such antivirus and defraggers are no longer necessary, what about all of the many other toys that come in such packages? Also, while I also understand that Windows users comprise 90 whatever %, while linux users are around two percent and that there "should" be no real danger, I deal with international forums which are comprised of 100,000's of members and which have in excess of two million guest hits per month. I dumped Windows because of security concerns (I am not a terrorist or a wierdo, but I spent many years in SpecOps-USARMY, and I know what "our" government is capable of.)....and I don't want them reading my emails to my mom, tracking my activities, or wondering why I submit so many FOIA requests. Nosy Bast#@&s!

Plus, I get tired of being held for ransom whenever a "new and improved" release comes out. So, I dumped Windows and installed Linux Mint on my desk-top and Debian on my laptop. They are both taking some getting used to, but I have not had this much fun since I got my Computer information Systems degree-back in Windows '95! However, I have found that I seem to have become "addicted" to running all of these toys that clean, repair, and all of that other nonsense that I was originally told was needed.

For a newbie on his second day of the big switch, A). do I still need any of those tools for optimum performance, and B), which ones, if any, would be good for safe daily international interaction on large forums? Sorry if this is in the wrong place, but these specifically mentioned sort of fit in here, I thought.

thanks
Xian Renegade

Post by Xian Renegade »

Android is a good example of how the user can compromise a system by installing all those nice apps that Windows Phone 8 doesn't have............ :shock: Many of the approved apps are known to carry malware into a system. Internet security suites do not necessarily pick these up, nor block it, as you have allowed it in and marked it as "trusted." Now, we are talking of apprived applications, remember?

Android should be safe as every application runs within its own VM environment, as far as I know - but I am a noob and experts may educate us. The Android example is relevant as that is the most commonly used mobile OS despite its inherent weaknesses. It also could be very safe, if a user does not compromise it. I give it a wide berth even though it has its roots in the world of the very safe and stable Linux.

Many Windows users say that Linux viruses will increase as its user base increases. They hold the opinion that Linux only has a few viruses because of its small global footprint. It seems logical but it is not how it is. Truth is that Linux is much better protected because of how it works, not because of less viruses. Once again, experts may educate us here.
craig10x

Post by craig10x »

Very true...i have been running linux since 2008 (so that is a total of 6 years) and never had any kind of anti-virus scanner installed...and have never gotten anything...and i do web surfing like mad every day :D I'm sure that has been the experience with the majority of linux users...
ImpliedConsent

Post by ImpliedConsent »

Question about defrag and SSDs: since W7, the defrag option has been turned off (default) of the drive containing an SSD. I'm pretty sure that the reason is so TRIM and GC collection won't be in conflict with a defrag operation. Is this potentially the same with LM (currently running 'Petra' 32)? My LM install is on an old-old laptop with a MHDD - but when I get home - I plan on rebuilding a PC with LM16 64bit on an SSD sda. I guess I'm more curious about TRIM and GC of an SSD v. defrag.

Return to “Beginner Questions”