Questions about Defragging or Antivirus? Look here first!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Re: Questions about Defragging or Antivirus? Look here first

Postby Johnny333 on Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:23 pm

optimize me wrote:
Kaye wrote:Haha, or something. Nice sig by the way :lol:

I really wrote this in hope that it would get stickied so that we wouldn't have to keep droning on about how they really don't need the things they were used to in Windows. It was just getting old.

Yeah, lately I find myself loosing my cool when it comes to that.

I was a n00b once myself, as were we all. But these darned kids today.. they're just hopeless.

And I wish they'd stay off my lawn.

Very few people if any known everything about a computer. Most have certain areas they are good at. My Dad had me helping him at 8 years old in 1956(mostly pulling cables under the false floors) he would set up the oscilloscope and tell me what to look for why he was doing things. Then I went to work for IBM in 1967 in office products. When the first PCs came out I work on them and took class on them but not much fun till Netscape and WebCrawler came out the I started have fun with them. All thought I did like my PC Jr with Kings Quest a lot. Plus some of these kids can run circles around me with the codes I like to change. I live in the United States and the kids overseas seem to known more than just playing game like here.
Just my simple mind Johnny333 70+++
PS they mite stay off your lawn. But are in your PC.
Johnny333
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

AW: Re: Questions about Defragging or Antivirus? Look here f

Postby /dev/urandom on Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:56 am

powerhouse wrote: I'm running Linux for ~18 years now - never had a virus or malware on any Linux machine, some of which run 24/7.

Similar to my virus experience on Windows (18 years now). Get over it.
Linux is not the only answer! :: eD2k/Kad mirrors for Linux Mint and LMDE.
Users who misspell "Windows" as "Windoze" intentionally will be considered stupid.

/dev/urandom
Level 5
Level 5

Re: AW: Re: Questions about Defragging or Antivirus? Look he

Postby niowluka on Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:10 am

/dev/urandom wrote:
powerhouse wrote: I'm running Linux for ~18 years now - never had a virus or malware on any Linux machine, some of which run 24/7.

I've been using Linux for 10 years and never had a virus. I had been using Windows for about 5 years and also never had a virus. The difference is, I run no security software on Linux whatsoever, and on Windows I had 3 or 4 security apps running in the background, with regular disc scans and all that. And that still has not protected me against some nasties on a couple of occasions.
Mint 17 Openbox (MATE) 64bit | Linux 3.16.2 (Vanilla)

Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H | AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4Ghz | G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 RipjawsX, F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | MSI R7 260X 2048 MB GDDR5 OC
niowluka
Level 4
Level 4

Postby adfd1 on Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:37 am

I wish I had the same luck with no Windoz viruses. My own fault though allowing someone else to use my Laptop. I set up a lot of Win 7 and XP machines for friends, loaded up AV and a good firewall, SAS, MWB, and they still managed to get infected. Bad practises online and windoz can get you into trouble. The good news is it kept me busy and put some $$ in my pocket. Linux so far so good. -AD
adfd1
Level 3
Level 3

Postby MacLindroid on Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:16 am

niowluka wrote:
/dev/urandom wrote:

I've been using Linux for 10 years and never had a virus. I had been using Windows for about 5 years and also never had a virus. The difference is, I run no security software on Linux whatsoever, and on Windows I had 3 or 4 security apps running in the background, with regular disc scans and all that. And that still has not protected me against some nasties on a couple of occasions.

A few top security experts are of the opinion that a completely virus-free Windows installation does not exist. There simply is no security software that can identify all viruses and some only get discovered a decade or two after infection had taken place. Someone mentioned Norton, something I had banned from my shop seventeen years ago. Windows users should stick to http://www.emsisoft.com and http://www.bitdefender.com. The rest is a waste of time. Emsisoft's OnlineArmour firewall also is better than most. http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/oa/
I will only beaten when I admit defeat but Eye Kant Spal Kwit
MacLindroid
Level 3
Level 3

Postby powerhouse on Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:17 am

/dev/urandom wrote:

Get over what?

Now back to topic. Do you know what I did to keep my Linux PCs free of viruses? Nothing.

Care to tell us how you managed to keep Windows out of virus harm for 18 years?
Asus Sabertooth X79, i7 3930K CPU, 8x4GB Kingston DDR3 RAM, Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler, Sapphire 7770 GPU, PNY Quadro 2000 GPU, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD + various HD, Corsair 500R case, SeaSonic 660W Gold X PS
powerhouse
Level 5
Level 5

Postby MacLindroid on Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:49 am

powerhouse wrote:
/dev/urandom wrote:
powerhouse wrote:

Care to tell us how you managed to keep Windows out of virus harm for 18 years?

Not sure what he meant by saying this "And that still has not protected me against some nasties on a couple of occasions."
MacLindroid
Level 3
Level 3

Postby niowluka on Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:02 am

MacLindroid wrote:Not sure what he meant by saying this "And that still has not protected me against some nasties on a couple of occasions."

That's a technical term... I meant those programs that would install themselves and then start at boot and show in system tray, with no way of stopping or uninstalling them. Primarily they were a result of visiting 'gentleman's websites'...

Apologies I'm not up to scratch with terminology but that was 10 years ago and I haven't had to worry about it since...

Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H | AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4Ghz | G.Skill 8GB DDR3-1600 RipjawsX, F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | MSI R7 260X 2048 MB GDDR5 OC
niowluka
Level 4
Level 4

Postby MacLindroid on Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:14 am

niowluka wrote:
MacLindroid wrote:Not sure what he meant by saying this "And that still has not protected me against some nasties on a couple of occasions."

That's a technical term... I meant those programs that would install themselves and then start at boot and show in system tray, with no way of stopping or uninstalling them. Primarily they were a result of visiting 'gentleman's websites'...

Apologies I'm not up to scratch with terminology but that was 10 years ago and I haven't had to worry about it since...

Those are malware adn may contain spyware and viruses, they are trojans lurking inside other apps and then take some control over your computer. They may contain adware but most likely they run routines in the background, stealing you banking details, contacts, etc. It usually requires hacking into the Windows system registry to remove them. Some are relatively harmless but others are malignant and cause tremendous damage. For example, it could take business documents and send it to all your contacts, revealing your most intimate business or personal secrets to everyone out there. It then infects their machines as well and so your data gets strewn around the globe, Nasty. Example: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/worst-computer-viruses1.htm
MacLindroid
Level 3
Level 3

Postby MacLindroid on Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:28 am

niowluka wrote:

Those are malware and may contain spyware and viruses, they are trojans lurking inside other apps and then take some control over your computer. They may contain adware but most likely they run routines in the background, stealing you banking details, contacts, etc. It usually requires hacking into the Windows system registry to remove them. Some are relatively harmless but others are malignant and cause tremendous damage. For example, it could take business documents and send it to all your contacts, revealing your most intimate business or personal secrets to everyone out there. It then infects their machines as well and so your data gets strewn around the globe, Nasty. Example: http://computer.howstuffworks.com/worst-computer-viruses1.htm

I steer clear of websites with questionable or explicit content as those are rather ungentlemanly.
MacLindroid
Level 3
Level 3

Postby MacLindroid on Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:02 am

haiphonghponline wrote:hello. im newbiew here.
So what does defragging mean anyway? Why doesn't Linux need defragmenting? Please help me by answering these two questions. All your replies will be appreciated.

It helps if you try to first Google it, as it is a bit unfair to expect from others to write a lengthy piece to educate you. Your question also is rather surprising as almost everyone knows what it is. It has to do with file fragments getting strewn around a hard drive and to reorganize them, but you really should research it yourself a bit. It is something MS-DOS and MS-Windows have been doing for decades now. Go find Auslogics Defrag and see what comes up.
MacLindroid
Level 3
Level 3

Postby JerseyBiker on Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:47 am

This has probably already been mentioned but I'm too lazy to read through over 200 post. As far as defragging goes my understanding is that SSD's do not need to be defragged. So if you have a SSD as I do it's probably not an issue at all.
JerseyBiker
Level 1
Level 1

Postby powerhouse on Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:05 pm

JerseyBiker wrote:This has probably already been mentioned but I'm too lazy to read through over 200 post. As far as defragging goes my understanding is that SSD's do not need to be defragged. So if you have a SSD as I do it's probably not an issue at all.

Yes, with SSDs you don't need defragging. And Linux also doesn't need it (usually).
Asus Sabertooth X79, i7 3930K CPU, 8x4GB Kingston DDR3 RAM, Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler, Sapphire 7770 GPU, PNY Quadro 2000 GPU, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD + various HD, Corsair 500R case, SeaSonic 660W Gold X PS
powerhouse
Level 5
Level 5

Postby niowluka on Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:18 pm

powerhouse wrote:
JerseyBiker wrote:This has probably already been mentioned but I'm too lazy to read through over 200 post. As far as defragging goes my understanding is that SSD's do not need to be defragged. So if you have a SSD as I do it's probably not an issue at all.

Yes, with SSDs you don't need defragging. And Linux also doesn't need it (usually).

Not only you don't need defragging an SSD, you shouldn't be defragging an SSD. Defragging generates a lot of disk writes which reduce the lifetime of SSD. And it has no benefit at all, regardless of what OS sees on the filesystem, only the SSD controller knows where the data is physically located on the disk. It's is a bit like posting a letter: you post it (i.e. save it) and someone receives it (i.e. it get's saved), but you (i.e. OS) have no idea how it actually got there.

niowluka
Level 4
Level 4

Postby killer de bug on Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:30 am

niowluka wrote: And it has no benefit at all, regardless of what OS sees on the filesystem, only the SSD controller knows where the data is physically located on the disk. It's is a bit like posting a letter: you post it (i.e. save it) and someone receives it (i.e. it get's saved), but you (i.e. OS) have no idea how it actually got there.

This is not the reason why defragmenting is useless. In the case of a mechanical HD, a spinning disk contains informations and it takes time to move the reading head around the disk. To maximize the speed it's important to have files stored in continuous clusters.

In the case of an SSD drive, cells are made of transistors. No moving part here. Reading a cell take the same time if the cell is near the edge or near the center of the HD. All cells can be read at the same speed. Thus it doesn't make sense to store all the files in continuous clusters. This will not increase the speed.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. [Isaac Newton]
killer de bug
Level 7
Level 7

Postby niowluka on Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:19 am

killer de bug wrote:
niowluka wrote: And it has no benefit at all, regardless of what OS sees on the filesystem, only the SSD controller knows where the data is physically located on the disk. It's is a bit like posting a letter: you post it (i.e. save it) and someone receives it (i.e. it get's saved), but you (i.e. OS) have no idea how it actually got there.

This is not the reason why defragmenting is useless. In the case of a mechanical HD, a spinning disk contains informations and it takes time to move the reading head around the disk. To maximize the speed it's important to have files stored in continuous clusters.

In the case of an SSD drive, cells are made of transistors. No moving part here. Reading a cell take the same time if the cell is near the edge or near the center of the HD. All cells can be read at the same speed. Thus it doesn't make sense to store all the files in continuous clusters. This will not increase the speed.

I didn't say it's the only reason it's useless :mrgreen:

Although I agree that reading a single cell takes the same amount of time regardless of where it is located on the SSD, a very heavily fragmented filesystem will affect the total I/O time even for SSD. Retrieving 100 parts of a file will take longer than just 1.

I understand that contradicts a little what I said earlier about defragmentation having no benefits at all, but with Linux filesystems suffering from little fragmentation and the effect on SSD being much smaller than on HDD, the benefits are realistically none... :mrgreen:

niowluka
Level 4
Level 4

Postby killer de bug on Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:36 am

niowluka wrote:Although I agree that reading a single cell takes the same amount of time regardless of where it is located on the SSD, a very heavily fragmented filesystem will affect the total I/O time even for SSD. Retrieving 100 parts of a file will take longer than just 1.

This is wrong.
A file saved on a disk is divided in part as a function of its size and of the cluster size. This has nothing to do with a disk being fragmented or not. :wink:
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants. [Isaac Newton]
killer de bug
Level 7
Level 7

Postby niowluka on Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:45 am

killer de bug wrote:
niowluka wrote:Although I agree that reading a single cell takes the same amount of time regardless of where it is located on the SSD, a very heavily fragmented filesystem will affect the total I/O time even for SSD. Retrieving 100 parts of a file will take longer than just 1.

This is wrong.
A file saved on a disk is divided in part as a function of its size and of the cluster size. This has nothing to do with a disk being fragmented or not. :wink:

I meant fragmented. Non-contiguous parts, i.e. scattered around the file system.

niowluka
Level 4
Level 4

Postby killer de bug on Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:11 am

niowluka wrote:I meant fragmented. Non-contiguous parts, i.e. scattered around the file system.

If you have an SSD drive, then reading 100 continuous parts or 100 scattered parts takes the same time.
killer de bug
Level 7
Level 7

Postby niowluka on Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:06 am

killer de bug wrote:If you have an SSD drive, then reading 100 continuous parts or 100 scattered parts takes the same time.

File in 1 contiguous fragment will require 1 request to SSD for retrieval. File in 100 non-contiguous fragments will require 100 requests to SSD to retrieve each frament.

:wink:

niowluka
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

PreviousNext

Return to Newbie Questions