How can I speed up Gloria?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bolle

How can I speed up Gloria?

Post by bolle »

Booting up Gloria usually takes like a minute, is there any way to speed this up and the launching of applications?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: How can I speed up Gloria?

Post by lagagnon »

There are many ways to speed up the boot cycle and application launching times:

1) use a desktop environment other than Gnome/KDE. For example xfce, fluxbox, IceWM, many others - they boot faster and take fewer system resources.
2) turn off unused services (Menu, Administration, Services)
3) remove unused applets from the Panel
4) boot straight into text mode and then use "startx" to launch the desktop - saves having GDM running all the time.
5) get a faster computer and possibly more RAM if you need it
6) turn off Compiz effects
7) use less bloated software (eg Dillo or Opera rather than Firefox, Abiword/Gnumeric rather than OO, etc....)
8) I understand Kernel 2.6.30 has faster boot times, but this is fairly advanced stuff to update the kernel

BTW have you fixed your hard drive problem yet? , because that can certainly affect boot times ;-)
bolle

Post by bolle »

Im pretty sure the hard drive problem is gone..
The error doesnt come up now ? :O

And i use XFCE, is Opera and the other browser good compared to FF?
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

Dillo is very basic and does not do flash nor javascript. But is incredibly fast. Try Opera for yourself and see what you think.

Return to “Beginner Questions”