Gnome Do

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Gnome Do

Postby MissKitty on Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:23 pm

I'm no newbie to Linux but I am a newbie to Mint. I use to have Ubuntu but I switched to Mint. When I had Ubuntu I had Gnome Do and used it as a dock. Well as I can see Mint comes with Gnome Do but I can't seem to use it as a dock. I looked and I think I have everything installed for it. Maybe I'm missing something that makes it a dock. Am I missing something?
MissKitty
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Gnome Do

Postby pluraldave on Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:56 pm

Right click the gnome-do icon in the notification area, click preferences.

Switch to the Appearance tab, switch "theme" to docky.
pluraldave
Level 5
Level 5

Postby MissKitty on Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:42 am

pluraldave wrote:Right click the gnome-do icon in the notification area, click preferences.

Switch to the Appearance tab, switch "theme" to docky.

I did that, the some way I did when I had Ubuntu. But guess what? There is no "preferences" to click on. It's like there is something missing, like I said before.
MissKitty
Level 1
Level 1

Postby pluraldave on Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:02 pm

Odd. What version of do have you got? 0.8 is the one with docky but I thought 0.6 still had preferences.

Fire up synaptic to check you've got gnome-do and gnome-do plugins 0.8. They should both be in the Ubuntu universe repositories if you're using LM7. (In synaptic settings>repositories to check universe is active).

If all is as it should be all I can think of is to try reinstalling the packages - you should get a preferences option when you right click the gnome do icon (or if you bring up the gnome-do search box and click the little arrow in the top left).
pluraldave
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Alex56 on Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:54 pm

Mint comes with a version of Gnome Do without the Docky "theme". Just update it to the latest version using synaptic and you will see it as a theme.

The two you should update are "gnome-do" and "gnome-do-plugins". I might be wrong with the names though.

Hope I helped,
Alex
Alex56
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Kaye on Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:30 pm

Here is the actual command to do what alex is talking about
Code: Select all
apt remove --purge gnome-do & apt install gnome-do gnome-do-plugins
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?
Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Postby catface on Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:26 pm

I'm also trying to get docky working on my install of mint, but when I run the update for it the terminal says I have the latest version. The only other option I can find is installing it from the .tar file, but I cannot get this to work either
catface
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Kaye on Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:19 pm

Is there an error message when you try to start Docky?
"In somnis veritas"
Antivirus or defragging?
Kaye
Level 5
Level 5

Postby catface on Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:23 pm

I have the same issue as above where i can open DO but don't have the option to activate Docky in the preferences. Checked in the package manager and it says I have version 0.6, I believe i need version 0.8 to get Docky but when running an upgrade it says I have the latest version. Could this be caused by the fact i'm running mint 5 and not the latest version?
catface
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions