Vista in Virtual Box

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
truckerjay

Vista in Virtual Box

Post by truckerjay »

I had vista on my laptop when I bought it. Messed up trying to dual boot with mint7 took vista off have since learned how to do it right lol. Then tried to reinstall vista worked for a couple of days then one day it wouldn't boot would just cycle from dell screen to the screen that shows microsoft then blank screen then back to dell screen. Put linux mint on again. Then tried to install vista in a virtual box and it loads files then goes to a screen that it can't boot put reinstall disk in. It says cpu not 64 bit. How can I fix this I want to keep mint on as my op sys and run vista in virtual box. Like mint for most things there are just a couple of things I need windows for like a game and some online movie players that don't support anything but windows or mac.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
optimize me

Re: Vista in Virtual Box

Post by optimize me »

Vista requires a bare-minimum 1GHz processor and 1GB of RAM. You'd better have one fairly serious setup if you're going to try and run Vista in a VM - especially if you plan on using that VM for gaming and such.

Having said that, if you have a 64-bit processor and a 64-bit Vista OEM install, I'm not sure you'll be able to make that work inside a VM. I'd recommend going to Suns VirtualBox site, reading through their documentation, and visiting their support forums. Someone there probably has a better idea about how to attack what you're trying to do than people here would. I could be wrong, though... stick around and see who else chimes in.

Return to “Beginner Questions”