High CPU Usage

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lagagnon

Re: High CPU Usage

Post by lagagnon »

No, that is not normal. Open a terminal and type "top" and watch the processes near the top when you computer is completely idle - and I mean idle, no youtube running in Firefox or anything else for that matter. Tell us what processes are consuming your CPU and memory.

Or better yet run "ps aux" in a terminal and post the results here ...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Muzer

Post by Muzer »

It could be due to you not having good graphics drivers installed, so the it is putting some of the load onto your CPU. What is your graphics card? Find out from a lspci command.
igorzwx

Post by igorzwx »

I would propose to remove PulseAudio.
It was reported to cause such troubles with Skype, Firefox, etc.

see:
Bug #362203 in pulseaudio (Ubuntu): “Skype high CPU use on 9.04 ...
Yes, using pulseaudio with skype in 9.04 gives a leak of memory, but fortunately it is possible to avoid using pulseaudio with skype. ...
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/362203

Bug #362203:
Skype high CPU use on 9.04 using pulse (and audio recording/sending delay >5sec)

see also:
PulseAudio = the master bug
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=32637

You may try this solution:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=32725
pluraldave

Post by pluraldave »

Balu wrote:lspci yields ("VGA compatible controller") Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
Open up mintUpdate (the padlock in your notification area).
Edit > Preferences
Mark Level 4 updates as visible but not safe.
Select and install the update xserver-xorg-video-intel
Make level 4 updates invisible again
Restart your computer.
optimize me

Post by optimize me »

igorzwx wrote:I would propose to remove PulseAudio.
I finally got around to doing this, and I can say that on my system it made a world of difference.
Inoki

Post by Inoki »

I also have this problem. I get 100% CPU usage. My system is Intel Celeron D 3,06 GHz, nVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT 512 MB, 2 GB DDR RAM. Can anyone help? I got Mint with all latest updates.
Inoki

Post by Inoki »

Bumping this topic seeing it might get overlooked.
hsanghavi2003

Post by hsanghavi2003 »

Guys, I tried this solution of uninstalling PulseAudio package and trust me when i say its not a very good idea. You'll end up with a black screen after login.

If you've already done it and stuck now with the black screen, press <Ctrl>+<Alt>+<F2> to enter a terminal and enter the following to reinstall the packages,

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install pulseaudio cinnamon cinnamon-bluetooth pulseaudio-module-x11 mint-meta-cinnamon alsa-base cinnamon-control-center pulseaudio-module-bluetooth libcanberra-pulse
Then reboot using,

Code: Select all

sudo reboot
Hope this helps so that no one freaks out looking at the blank black screen when he has a project deadline creeping up.

As far as High CPU Usage is concerned, after looking up, i guess we just need to live with it.

Return to “Beginner Questions”