can't connect to wireless internet after shutting down

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: can't connect to wireless internet after shutting down

Post by Husse »

Welcome to Mint
This is exactly the error my oldest daughter has in her old HP or Compaq and Win XP home
Which router/access point and which wifi
Run lspci -vvnn and post the section for wifi only (or lsusb if it is a USB thingy)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rich_roast

Post by rich_roast »

Apologies, I don't know what's causing the problem or how to solve it straightaway, but this:
meladem wrote: Capabilities: <access denied>
Can't be right. Off the bat that sounds like a permissions issue, but on a rootless system I'm a bit lost as to what advice to give... just wanted to highlight that bit of your output for others to see.
Husse

Post by Husse »

@ rich_roast
Capabilities: <access denied>
That is perfectly OK and as it should be - to get rid of that you should use sudo lspci -vvnn but there is no need for that
(And yes it's a permissions problem)
However this is a 3945ABG with iwl3945 and I have had a bunch of problems with that lately
@ meladem
Can you try ndiiswrapper - Windows Wireless Drivers
After you have installed the driver do

Code: Select all

echo "blacklist iwl3945" | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
and reboot
If this does not work open /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf as root and remove or comment out that line + reboot as your wifi is working although not quite as it should
Husse

Post by Husse »

Good
I get a bit nervous when i see iwl3945 :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”