(Solved) applications disappearing from desktop

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
nalsdixit
Level 3
Level 3

(Solved) applications disappearing from desktop

Post by nalsdixit »

I have issue when I launch a new application as it is loading the whole application screen all slides off the desktop to the left, am left with no application/window on the desktop

Center of desktop briefly shows three boxes with left/right arrows, but nothing stable enough to click on

Sometimes it comes back, and sometimes it does not. If it does not, I do a quit and restart

I am running mint 7, standard version on a acer aspireone 150 netbook

Generally I have epiphany running and try to launch miro or frostwire when this happens

nals
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: applications disappearing from desktop

Post by emorrp1 »

Are you by any chance accidentally using the mouse scroll-wheel while the cursor is over the desktop. In Mint main, scrolling over the desktop switches virtual workspaces, and you can get them back by scrolling the opposite way, or by using ctrl+alt+left/right arrow, or by adding the "Workspace Switcher" applet to the panel.
nalsdixit
Level 3
Level 3

Re: applications disappearing from desktop

Post by nalsdixit »

thank you emorrp1,

i am on a netbook with a mousepad which has the scroll function built in, so i imagine that is what is happening. i have sometimes been able to get it back by scrolling the other way, but not always. the scroll function on the mousepad does not work too well anyway

i will try the control/alt/right arrow next time, and explore adding workplace switcher applet to the panel. do i get that from the package manager ?
------
tried the control/alt/right arrow command, and that works fine, also tried scrolling back and that works as well, is counter intuitive as in you hv to scroll same direction the screen disappeared.
also figured out how to add workspace switcher applet to the command

tks again for your help

nals
rippedcb

Re: (Solved) applications disappearing from desktop

Post by rippedcb »

or you could just disable the extra virtual desktops.. just keep 1 desktop. that way you don't have to worry about it.
pluraldave

Re: (Solved) applications disappearing from desktop

Post by pluraldave »

If you want to remove the "scroll" function just turn it off in compiz.

It's viewport switcher that controls that particular effect I believe.

Return to “Beginner Questions”