Root password?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JackBW

Root password?

Post by JackBW »

I wasn't paying particular--or ANY--attention to this when I first installed Mint, but I only recall being asked to establish a USER name and password during that process; I don't recall ROOT being covered as a separate matter during install. So my question is, what password does root use by default, the same as the USER's? I see now where I can change either one separately in the terminal, and of course I always have logged in--and been online--as <USERNAME>, but I don't know how root's identity was initially set up. I'm assuming both would initially use <USERNAME>'s password, since I only ever provided ONE. How does this work?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ShexNivis

Re: Root password?

Post by ShexNivis »

Hello there,
root account is disabled by default, to run a command as root you can preceded it with 'sudo' ex: sudo apt-get install firefox.
This is a good thing for security since only users in the admin group have access to use 'sudo'. For more information please take a look at: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
and if you would like to enable root account take a look at http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=2355
I would sugest you to NOT do it since I think 'sudo' approach is safer.
Good Luck,
André~
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

actually, as of Gloria root is enabled by default (useful for the recovery console) and uses the user password you entered on install.
ShexNivis

Post by ShexNivis »

My bad then, used to ubuntu. Anyway you can use the sudo approach or the su : )
JackBW

Post by JackBW »

Thanks. Clearer now. HOWEVER, I changed the password for <user> and now when I bootup, I get a box "Enter password for default keyring to unlock"...and only the OLD password works in that box. Can't get past that.
JackBW

Post by JackBW »

Never mind. Just got the answer from ComputerBob.com. The guy there saved my mother's Mint PC recently. Great guy.

Return to “Beginner Questions”