Nothing shows up in Task Bar [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
keyneom

Nothing shows up in Task Bar [SOLVED]

Post by keyneom »

So my sisters install of Mint seems to be having a problem with its task bar, when you open any program nothing shows up in the task bar to show that it is open, she thought that when she would minimize the window it would close it, but when you use alt+tab you can still get the windows to come up. Is there a way I could fix this problem?? Maybe replacing some of the files associated with it with some of my own working ones, or possibly just make the edits necessary to the files if anyone knows how to do that. Well any help on this one is appreciated obviously a re-install isn't the happiest thing to do.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
pluraldave

Re: Nothing shows up in Task Bar

Post by pluraldave »

This is possibly the most common mistake newbies make. All your sister has done is removed the task list from her panel. It is very easy to do because the list covers the large centre section and can just be removed by right click>remove. Possibly she was trying to remove something else from the panel or just did it by accident.

To restore the task buttons you just have to add the task list back.

Right click in some free space on the panel
>Add new item >Window list

You/she may also have to resize the window list to make it fill the whole space.
keyneom

Re: Nothing shows up in Task Bar

Post by keyneom »

Hey I'll try that out as soon as I can, thanks alot for the help, I probably should have thought of that, didn't even think of checking that, so I probably would have been all over the place and it would've taken me forever to figure it out. Thanks again!

Return to “Beginner Questions”