No sound on Auzentech X-Fi Prelude card

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pcaddy

No sound on Auzentech X-Fi Prelude card

Post by pcaddy »

As a newbie I must say I'm very impressed with Linux Mint it even installed my printers, local and networked, I was expecting trouble but got none.
I am posting this as my sound card does not seam to have been recognised, its an Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1, I searched the net and found that Auzentech dose not produce drivers for Linux, now I don't need it to do surround sound but would like the headphones and Hi-Fi amp to work in stereo (2.1 as amp is for home cinema and music) I use the surround on headphones in windows for gaming and it is working.
I previously had a Creative Audidgy 2 and ran a live CD of PC Linux and Ubuntu and that sound card worked OK on those.
I would like to thank anyone for their help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
igorzwx

Re: No sound on Auzentech X-Fi Prelude card

Post by igorzwx »

You know, there are ALSA drivers and OSS4 drivers.
You cannot have them both loaded simultaneusly.
They do not like each other.

My proposal:
1. Start a new thread on Mint Multimedia Forum
2. Try the method which is described here:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=33657
pcaddy

Post by pcaddy »

Thank very much for your help.
I have had success following you second proposal, and with a bit of playing around (learning) I have managed to get the analogue output from the sound card to work, so the headphones are now OK as they are connected to the 7.1 analogue outputs, its a shame that the digital output doesn't work, but still without the manufactures driver I think this good outcome. Cheers
igorzwx

Post by igorzwx »

QUOTE: "I have had success following you second proposal"

Do you mean that you compiled OSS4, hacked Linux kernel, and it was successful?
Sounds fantastic!

OSS4 means the best sound quality, by the way.
pcaddy

Post by pcaddy »

Hi
All I did was go to your link under your proposal 2, scrolling down the page there was a section about installing the oss driver I just followed the link to ubuntu page showing where to get it and how to install it. I followed the instructions although it didn't work first time as the terminal I opened from the main menu could not find it, but after a bit of experimenting I found you can open a terminal in the place that the download is stored, after all I wasn't sure how to write in the path to it.
"As I am newbie I can only follow instructions"
Yes it dose sound pretty good thanks and I'm going to run a splitter on the front analogue speaker output of the card to the amp so I can leave the head phones in as well, and leave the digital output for windows xp.

Thanks again

Return to “Beginner Questions”