mintistall -or cnr

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

mintistall -or cnr

Postby neighborlee on Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:00 pm

Hi there,,

I was wondering and not flaming lets get that clear ok ;)...why was mintinstall ( before cnr.com went OSS ? ) when cnr has a very nice UI and even things like 'aisles'....was admin of mintlinux afraid it might not enterface well even though mint is based on ubuntu which is going to have cnr support plugin ?

thx
neighborlee
neighborlee
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby Boo on Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:35 pm

well i think clem just saw a way to install software easily from many different repos without having to do any tricky repo edits and the like.

Using a web page to find and install software is very user friendly, epically if the end user is new to linux.

tools like synaptic are nice but also confusing to new users. now which one of these 20000 packages do i need to manage photos?

I expect that cnr is not out due to licensing and payment for commercial software issues.

we are not competing with cnr just increasing end user ease of use and functionality.
cnr may also be in a future release of mint. remember it is all about system usability. other distros may even take up mintinstall.

But who am I to second guess clem.
I am sure clem will give the real answer.

:D
Now where was i going? Oh yes, crazy!
Boo
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Newbie Questions