can i have media on my vista os and view it on mint os?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hiero2

Re: can i have media on my vista os and view it on mint os?

Post by Hiero2 »

I am sure you will get a better answer than mine, but

Yes, you can do this. Sometimes it is not exactly trivial, requiring some messing about with settings and programs. I've gotten one machine to work doing this, I've got two others that don't quite do it yet. Sorry, can't remember the details, and only one of the systems is Mint, so I'm not sure WHICH details are pertinent. You've got to have the right programs installed to "read" the NTFS partition (assuming you are using NTFS, if you are using FAT or FAT32, mounting the partition IS trivial). Sometimes just that program alone is not enough, and you have to change settings, and I'm afraid this is where my memory fails. And, I didn't take notes on this section!

Good luck, it can be done!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: can i have media on my vista os and view it on mint os?

Post by DrHu »

http://forums.linuxmint.com/search.php? ... boot+vista
dual boot vista, these forums search..

You could also search for partitioning hard drives windows or some-such query
--gparted: a Linux partition editor or even Vista's own partion editor, to shrink the Vista partition, then check dual booting

You probably should do it this way
  • Defragment Vista's partition
  • Resize Vista's partition with its own tool (partition editor)
  • Install Linux mint into that free space
    --check about dual booting options, Linux + Vista, using grub: a Linux's boot loader.
  • If all is OK
    --you will be able to boot Linux and Vista from the boot menu (grub); you could also use windows bootloader (NTLDR), but for Linux grub is the normal method..
Additionally, you will need to check how to automount windows partitions at boot (so that you don't have to mount them for Linux to use them), after it has been setup..

Linux and most desktop Linux distributions allow RW (Read-Write) access to Windows (ntfs) partitions, directories (folders) as a built in option
--they have included ntfs3g to do this
http://www.ntfs-3g.org/

About the media question, it depends on the media
--most media content is viewable within Linux, and as long as you have access to the data, it should be OK.

Return to “Beginner Questions”