Joining MINT: Why can't I get SKYPE?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Joining MINT: Why can't I get SKYPE?

Postby BurungHantu on Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:27 am

What I have seen so far LOOKS quite nice! I am trying out Mint because a particular Distro I also like just didn't load on the provided computer. I also like the look of Mint. I have been wanting to try Debian for some time. So this is my first Debian distro. All the Distro's seem slightly different in some ways so once again, learning some new CLi.

My used and list of useful Distro's are Sabayon which U guys have looked at.
PcLinuxOS.

Mandriva because of Language input ability out the box!

This is what I'm looking at Mint for now! How to install the languages and get Scim activated. A lot of other Forums for Distro's are not direct about what is now becoming important as Linux grows. I work in China, I need to use Chinese sometimes. :)

What I am asking right now, is what is wrong with Repoś? Skype can't be downloaded? Neither can the new Skype 1.4 be downloaded either?

Can anyone tell me if you have it elsewhere? Or how to get it. I unforunately use it to conact family and for them to call me.

My fellow linux User here has also installed Mint Bianca. KDE, I will go for Cassandra and just add KDE after install. He can not still download Skype.

any suggestions? He's in the same boat. We use Skype for our family and friends to call us from the US. IT's a lot cheaper. Than us calling them. :P
BurungHantu
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:06 am

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Joining MINT: Why can't I get SKYPE?

Postby scorp123 on Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:07 am

BurungHantu wrote: What I am asking right now, is what is wrong with Repoś? Skype can't be downloaded? Neither can the new Skype 1.4 be downloaded either?
Skype is commercial + closed source ... Unlikely that it will be ever in the repos unless the commercial manufacturer agrees to this kind of distribution channel (as did e.g. Adobe with their Acrobat Reader and VMware with their "VMware Server" products)

You either have to download it from the Skype web site, or use the "Software Portal", or use something like "Automatix2". Google is your friend. :D
User avatar
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2287
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:19 pm
Location: Switzerland

Postby stafio on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:30 am

As a new user, you may not yet be familiar with the Linux Mint Software Portal. Do yourself a favour and check it out: http://linuxmint.com/software/
User avatar
stafio
Level 2
Level 2
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:44 am

Re: Joining MINT: Why can't I get SKYPE?

Postby KrazyPenguin on Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:41 am

scorp123 wrote:
BurungHantu wrote: What I am asking right now, is what is wrong with Repoś? Skype can't be downloaded? Neither can the new Skype 1.4 be downloaded either?
Skype is commercial + closed source ... Unlikely that it will be ever in the repos unless the commercial manufacturer agrees to this kind of distribution channel (as did e.g. Adobe with their Acrobat Reader and VMware with their "VMware Server" products)

You either have to download it from the Skype web site, or use the "Software Portal", or use something like "Automatix2". Google is your friend. :D


There is a repository for skype :shock:
deb http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ stable non-free

Add it to your sources list if you want. However the newest version is 1.4.0.74 BETA and most likely won't be in the repos.
That is one you will get the best voice quality and features with.

This is easy to install the beta:
go here:
http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/linux/

-> click on Ubuntu Feisty Fawn -> open with "GDebi Package Installer"

Have fun !!!
;-)
KrazyPenguin
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:59 pm

Re: Joining MINT: Why can't I get SKYPE?

Postby scorp123 on Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:27 pm

KrazyPenguin wrote: There is a repository for skype :shock:
deb http://download.skype.com/linux/repos/debian/ stable non-free

Add it to your sources list if you want. However the newest version is 1.4.0.74 BETA and most likely won't be in the repos.
That is one you will get the best voice quality and features with.

This is easy to install the beta:
go here:
http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/linux/

-> click on Ubuntu Feisty Fawn -> open with "GDebi Package Installer"

Have fun !!!
;-)
There you go ... they have their own repos. It's not in one of the Ubuntu repos such as "commercial" as the rest (Adobe, VMware, etc.)
User avatar
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8
 
Posts: 2287
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:19 pm
Location: Switzerland

Postby clem on Mon Jun 25, 2007 6:49 pm

Somebody can probably check that for me... but I think the Software portal actually installs Skype 1.4...

http://www.linuxmint.com/software/?sec=item&id=4

(don't mind the version number written in the portal. The mint file points at a repo.. if the repo updates its package, the version changes but the portal doesn't reflect that change automatically).

By the way people, we've got a really cool way to install software here in Linux Mint. If something is not in the portal, just ask for it. Tweaking sources.list and googling for 3pp repos should be a thing of the past.

Clem
Image
User avatar
clem
Level 15
Level 15
 
Posts: 5553
Joined: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:34 am

Postby frank392 on Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:09 pm

Skype works perfect, the only thing is when you are installing it with mintInstall you have to open to see the details because Skype will ask you to accept the license and you do not get see it unless you click to see the details.
frank392
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 353
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:29 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Newbie Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], gbvoris, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], mintybits and 30 guests