Beryl Problems on LiveCD...

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Beryl Problems on LiveCD...

Postby earlyapriladam on Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:28 am

I am pretty much new to the Linux community. The only prior experience I have is in the high school English lab; the computers were using UNIX with bright orange text on black. When I first heard about LiveCDs I was blown away. And I had heard such great things about the MINT. My question is:
When I booted the LiveCD, everything worked fine until I started the Beryl Manager (Red gem icon) and it went to the system tray area. Prior to doing that, my mpeg, wmv, and avi's were playing perfectly in the supplied associated media player. That was the first thing that I wanted to test, and all of my video formats worked perfectly...with thumbnails! I thought, "Awesome, I am totally gonna install this OS". Then I started to play around with the cool effects in Beryl and it sold me even more! But when I went to play my favorite Family Guy mpeg, I noticed that the quality of the vid diminished. I opened a different file and different format, same problem. Almost a grid-like pattern appeared on them. Is this merely because I am running it from the Live CD, or is this a problem I will encounter once I actually install on my computer? I don't want to install an OS that won't do what I need it to do. I am using a Dell Dimension 2400 with a 2.8GHz Intel chip, 512MB RAM, and Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV graphics card (garage sale: $50!) Any help is greatly appreciated, THANKS!
earlyapriladam
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby scorp123 on Tue Jun 26, 2007 5:19 am

Your graphics card may not be up to the task and not support all features and special effects that Beryl has to offer ... Intel 845G?? :lol: You need at least an Intel 915G one for running Beryl with a decent performance; my laptop has a 945GM and Beryl is running extremely smooth here.

Besides: If your only reason to switch to Linux is Beryl then you switch for the wrong reasons anyway. :lol:
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Newbie Questions