Driver or OpenGL question...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dawgdoc

Re: Driver or OpenGL question...

Post by dawgdoc »

s_beaudry wrote:Hello all,
First, every few minutes or so the screen will go from bright to being dark... easily fixed with the "function key + right arrow" to make it bright again, but why is this happening? Is it related to my second question?
Steve, does this happen both an AC power and battery, or only when you are running on battery?
Does it only happen after a period of inactivity?

Go to Menu > Control Center > System > Power Management (I believe those last two are correct, I am at work on WinXP at the moment.) From the application that launches you will be able to adjust the power management. --- If the screen dims, by what percentage, after how much inactivity, etc.

Power Management (acpi) settings can affect the laptop while on battery or AC power, so check out the tool either way.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
nadir

Re: Driver or OpenGL question...

Post by nadir »

Second, do I need to install any special drivers for the INTEL 965 video card, or do I need to install OPENGL or something along those lines? The screen is perfect but games seem to be lagging behind in video quality..
i`m not sure, just some things you might try:
check if intel-microcode is installed, if not install it (with synaptic, the package-manager)
have a look at /etc/X11/xorg.conf . are there entries at all? you might try changing the accel_method (uxa, axa and what not).
try setting nice_value in /etc/X11/Xwrapper.config from 0 to -1 or lower (-2, -5, -10).
edit those files as root with gedit. to do so open a command-prompt (with alt+F2) and enter:

Code: Select all

gksu gedit
before editing those files copy them somewhere so you got a backup (in case things screw up).

you got compiz running? my desktop-experience is much better if i do.

i found a link here (at mint.forums) to ubuntu.forums about tweaking intel. at the moment im not able to find the link. perhaps someone might tell you or you will find it on your own. if i will find it i will let you know.

as said: i`m not that sure. take care.

edit: lol, i bookmarked it, so that was easy:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1130582

Return to “Beginner Questions”