grub loading error 18

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Re: grub loading error 18

Postby Jjude on Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:25 am

ill give that a go tx, ill try anything right now. though i do think ill be looking at a new pc in near future.

Not sure if all this is a bit beyond my capabilities.
Thanks johonunu for userbar.
Jjude
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby MaddogF16 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:45 am

If you get stuck or have questions you could take a snapshot of the screen or process.

Basically take your time and in the edit tab on the menubar there is a undo function.

Right click on the partitions in the screen will give you menu option of what to do with the selected partition. Maybe a delete of the current partitions then recreate new ones just adjust them for size and format (ext3,ext4,reiser,ect.). Once a partition has been sized and a format selected just remember to format it. Remember to give yourself a swap partition also, or just format the whole thing as ext3 or ext4 and the installer should set you up with a swap partition.

Right now it would just be nice for the drive to be formatted in a format that the installer can digest.
MaddogF16
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Jjude on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:51 am

Thank you for all your help Maddog, but it is all a little beyond me, but we havent lost yet. Got a friend who uses ubuntu and is a lot more technical than I, and he is going to have a look for me, so will keep you posted if netbook can be saved.

Must say this is a great forum, especially when your trying to help from so far away.

Thanks.
Jjude
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Jjude on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:33 am

Just an update, its was deffinately the drive not being able to be read to.... everything that was tried, failed to read/write, been in touch with asus as netbook is only 14 months old, and they are fixing/replacing as the case may be. So thanks maddog, i learnt a few things trying what u suggested, even though we werent successful

Jj x
Jjude
Level 1
Level 1

Previous

Return to Newbie Questions