Moving VM Server to different drive?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lger
Level 1
Level 1

Moving VM Server to different drive?

Post by lger »

OK.... I believe that Linux is finally ready for prime time - been putzing with it for years off and on and I've learned to genuinely dislike Vista so I deleted my Vista partition today. I have two drives in my system - 250 GB each - with Vista dedicated to one and the other is dedicated to your OS. My problem is that I somehow filled the Mint drive - believe I have too much tied up in VMWare Server. With Vista gone I now have an empty drive sitting there waiting to be filled. What would be the best way to utilize the other drive? Should I move my home folder there? Can I? How? Or should I move VMWare there? Can I? How? Or should I do something entirely different? I've been using your OS for a few weeks now and have it pretty well set up so I'd hate to do a re-install. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

BTW... I don't care about room for other distros or Windows. I have VMWare Server to play with those....

Leon
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

gcc wrote:use cp -r, or cp -dpr for a more thorough job..
cp -a -v -u ... takes care of everything (permissions and all that ...)

Other than that I'd second your suggestions.
lger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lger »

Thank you for the vary complete answer. I am constantly amazed at how helpful some of you can be at times. I DO tend to ramble on... sorry so I'll limit myself to one thing.

For now I have created an 40GB fat32 primary partition on the empty drive- just in case - and the rest is an extended logical partition formated as ext3. For now I will try to just move my home directory to this new partition. How do I move it and let the system know that I've moved it? Hope I'm not confusing you. One of us is enough...

Thanx!
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

lger wrote:For now I will try to just move my home directory to this new partition. How do I move it and let the system know that I've moved it?
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... _partition
lger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lger »

Thanks guys! Worked like a charm. Now off to my next Mint Linux adventure....

BTW: scorp. I know that you have a thing about people searching for answers before posting. I usually don't post because I agree with you. Most questions have already been answered. Thank you for the link. I just wasn't sure what to do.

gcc: You are a gentleman and a scholar... Thank you very much for your help. I appreciate the very well thought out and detailed answers. Someday I may be able to help others because with responses like this I learn.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Post by scorp123 »

lger wrote: I just wasn't sure what to do.
We shall forgive you :wink:

Serious now: Did it work? Everything OK? If not please keep posting and someone here will try to help 8)
lger
Level 1
Level 1

Post by lger »

:D Worked like a charm. Freed up half of my full drive and that was exactly what I wanted to do. Wasn't sure what would be the right choice - moving /home or vmware - but with your help ended up making the right choice. Thanks again my friend!

Leon

Return to “Beginner Questions”