Is it a bad sign that Mint ran a "drive check" when booting?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Is it a bad sign that Mint ran a "drive check" when booting?

Postby Liberty or Death on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:12 am

When I fired up my computer today. before I could get to the log in screen on Mint, it started running what it called a "routine drive check", is this a bad sign, an indication that there is a serious problem with my PC? Another operating system I once had on this same computer kept running "disk checks" constantly before it crashed, so this is making me a little paranoid, lol.
Liberty or Death
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Is it a bad sign that Mint ran a "drive check" when booting?

Postby altair4 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:31 am

Nope, it does that by design. It will do that every 30 (?) or so boots. Just one of those "little" things that differentiates linux from Windows. Windows waits for a catastrophe to happen before it suggests a check disk. :wink:
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 15
Level 15

Postby SxFlare on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:35 am

Windows - or disk checks unnecessarily 50 times a day until you turn it off out of annoyance and end up not checking when it's actually needed
SxFlare
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Liberty or Death on Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:06 am

SxFlare wrote:Windows - or disk checks unnecessarily 50 times a day until you turn it off out of annoyance and end up not checking when it's actually needed

That's the exact problem I had with Vista, lol Thanks.
Liberty or Death
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gibbs1984 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:10 pm

altair4 wrote:Nope, it does that by design. It will do that every 30 (?) or so boots. Just one of those "little" things that differentiates linux from Windows. Windows waits for a catastrophe to happen before it suggests a check disk. :wink:

Is that actually the right number because roughly that would be once a month but my computer seems to do it about once a week, I only turn the computer on once a day and turn it off at night, unless I'm switching to Windows but that's rare?
Linux Mint 17 (Cinnamon) 32bit.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Postby altair4 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:32 pm

gibbs1984 wrote:Is that actually the right number because roughly that would be once a month but my computer seems to do it about once a week, I only turn the computer on once a day and turn it off at night, unless I'm switching to Windows but that's rare?

That's why I put the (?) mark there - I couldn't remember :oops:

If you open a terminal and type: sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sda1 ( change sda1 to whatever partition you're interested in ), it should show you the interval - I think ( ? - there's that "?" again) it's labeled as "Maximun mount count".

EDIT: that "-l" is a lower case "L"
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 15
Level 15

Postby DrHu on Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:11 pm

It's a normal ext file system check, but if it is ext3 as it is likely to be rather than ext2 (the original, which might be helped by these file checks)
--there is probably a question as to whether or not any journaled file system needs these checks (ext3) being an example of such a file system

You can also change the interval of fs checks
--and if you have smartdrive enabled in the BIOS already and possibly have Linux smart tools installed, why even do any fs checks
http://hack2live.blogspot.com/2009/02/u ... oring.html

But it is a minor annoyance on the occasional boot
--have a donut or a longer coffee break , while the system boots..
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby AK Dave on Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:52 pm

I consider this a "problem", but for reasons very different than those who say this is not a problem.

Yes, this is a routine design feature of the file system to self-check and repair.

The PROBLEM is that if you're seeing this, it means you're routinely rebooting. :D
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby lexon on Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:24 pm

I asked the same question here quite a few months ago and got the same answer. I see that every so often but I shut down my PC every night. Been doing that for years. If I am in a hurry, I just hit the Esc key.

lex
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit.
lexon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby optimize me on Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:00 pm

I posted with a similar question here a while back. Because I'm on a dual-boot laptop and frequently reboot, I find myself having to sit through fsck at least once every couple days.

If any interested parties care to search my posts, I believe it was Fred who provided me with a quick primer on the tune2fs command.

Personally, I scheduled my bootup fsck to run once a month, rather than every-so-many boots. Seems sufficient.
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.8GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM ATI Radeon HD6970
optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions