Is it a bad sign that Mint ran a "drive check" when booting?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Is it a bad sign that Mint ran a "drive check" when booting?

Postby Liberty or Death on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:12 am

When I fired up my computer today. before I could get to the log in screen on Mint, it started running what it called a "routine drive check", is this a bad sign, an indication that there is a serious problem with my PC? Another operating system I once had on this same computer kept running "disk checks" constantly before it crashed, so this is making me a little paranoid, lol.
Liberty or Death
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Is it a bad sign that Mint ran a "drive check" when booting?

Postby altair4 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:31 am

Nope, it does that by design. It will do that every 30 (?) or so boots. Just one of those "little" things that differentiates linux from Windows. Windows waits for a catastrophe to happen before it suggests a check disk. :wink:
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Postby SxFlare on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:35 am

Windows - or disk checks unnecessarily 50 times a day until you turn it off out of annoyance and end up not checking when it's actually needed
SxFlare
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Liberty or Death on Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:06 am

SxFlare wrote:Windows - or disk checks unnecessarily 50 times a day until you turn it off out of annoyance and end up not checking when it's actually needed

That's the exact problem I had with Vista, lol Thanks.
Liberty or Death
Level 1
Level 1

Postby gibbs1984 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:10 pm

altair4 wrote:Nope, it does that by design. It will do that every 30 (?) or so boots. Just one of those "little" things that differentiates linux from Windows. Windows waits for a catastrophe to happen before it suggests a check disk. :wink:

Is that actually the right number because roughly that would be once a month but my computer seems to do it about once a week, I only turn the computer on once a day and turn it off at night, unless I'm switching to Windows but that's rare?
Linux Mint 17 (Cinnamon) 32bit.
gibbs1984
Level 5
Level 5

Postby altair4 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:32 pm

gibbs1984 wrote:Is that actually the right number because roughly that would be once a month but my computer seems to do it about once a week, I only turn the computer on once a day and turn it off at night, unless I'm switching to Windows but that's rare?

That's why I put the (?) mark there - I couldn't remember :oops:

If you open a terminal and type: sudo tune2fs -l /dev/sda1 ( change sda1 to whatever partition you're interested in ), it should show you the interval - I think ( ? - there's that "?" again) it's labeled as "Maximun mount count".

EDIT: that "-l" is a lower case "L"
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Postby DrHu on Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:11 pm

It's a normal ext file system check, but if it is ext3 as it is likely to be rather than ext2 (the original, which might be helped by these file checks)
--there is probably a question as to whether or not any journaled file system needs these checks (ext3) being an example of such a file system

You can also change the interval of fs checks
--and if you have smartdrive enabled in the BIOS already and possibly have Linux smart tools installed, why even do any fs checks
http://hack2live.blogspot.com/2009/02/u ... oring.html

But it is a minor annoyance on the occasional boot
--have a donut or a longer coffee break , while the system boots..
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Postby AK Dave on Tue Oct 27, 2009 5:52 pm

I consider this a "problem", but for reasons very different than those who say this is not a problem.

Yes, this is a routine design feature of the file system to self-check and repair.

The PROBLEM is that if you're seeing this, it means you're routinely rebooting. :D
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby lexon on Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:24 pm

I asked the same question here quite a few months ago and got the same answer. I see that every so often but I shut down my PC every night. Been doing that for years. If I am in a hurry, I just hit the Esc key.

lex
Lindows, Linspire, Freespire, Ubuntu, Mint 15 Cinnamon, Mint 16 XFCE, Mint 17 Cinnamon 64 bit.
lexon
Level 5
Level 5

Postby optimize me on Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:00 pm

I posted with a similar question here a while back. Because I'm on a dual-boot laptop and frequently reboot, I find myself having to sit through fsck at least once every couple days.

If any interested parties care to search my posts, I believe it was Fred who provided me with a quick primer on the tune2fs command.

Personally, I scheduled my bootup fsck to run once a month, rather than every-so-many boots. Seems sufficient.
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.8GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM ATI Radeon HD6970
optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions