google earth.bin[SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

google earth.bin[SOLVED]

Postby vassilianna on Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:28 pm

I had installed google earth but i ran it from terminal. though today the file that runed Earth dissappeared! I uninstalled it and downloaded it again. However,i can't remember how to re-install it...btw can somebody tell me how to open bin or rar files? I'm totally neew to linux and it confuses me a bit.....no matter what,though,i love Linux :)

PS.i've got Linux Mint 7(Gloria) if that is important.
Last edited by vassilianna on Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vassilianna
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: google earth.bin

Postby Aging Technogeek on Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:47 pm

Why did you download the Google Earth.bin file from an internet site?? Google Earth ver. 5.0.11337 is available from Synaptic Package Manager. It is a much easier installation and it gives you a launcher in the mint Menu.

Just open Synaptic and type googleearth in the search box. Check "Mark for Installation", when you get the list of required dependencies check "Apply" at the bottom right of the window, click on the big green check mark, and click "Apply" when you get the window asking if you really want to install this app. From here on, its all automatic. Google Earth will be downloaded and installed as you watch.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby dequire on Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:27 am

Sometimes people make things much harder in Linux than they have to be :P
They'll all look at me and say,
Hey look at him! I'll never live that way.
But that's okay -
They're just afraid to change.
- Shannon Hoon

The Blue Mint
dequire
Level 4
Level 4

Postby vassilianna on Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:22 pm

dequire wrote:Sometimes people make things much harder in Linux than they have to be :P

well,maybe 'cause i'm a girl :P

..nevermind,problem solved! though i tried another way before i see your post :) thanks guys!
next time i'll give every chance a try before i ask :)
vassilianna
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions