Linux on Laptop and sleeping problem.[SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Linux on Laptop and sleeping problem.[SOLVED]

Postby recycleme85 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:21 am

First off i am new to Linux, and I have googled and serached the forums here to try and find an answer to my problem.
I have Linux Mint 7 single boot
HP DV6000 notebook
160 gig HD
Nivida Video
Athero Wireless
So on and so forth......

The issue I have is I would like for my computer to sleep when I close the lid. If I press the Fn~F5 button it goes into sleep, conserves battery life, and wakes up normal when I open the lid with no loss of where I was at before. Is there any why i can make this happen with just the close of the lid? Thanks in advanced for all input. If there is another posting related to this then by all means, point my in the direction.
Last edited by recycleme85 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
recycleme85
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:52 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: Linux on Laptop and sleeping problem.

Postby David Hunter on Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:36 am

Hi recycleme85 - welcome to Linuxland! lol
To do what you want, click the menu, type in "power" and click on Power Management. This will give you all the options you may wish to change.

Hope that helps. :)
Image
Thanks beyecixramd!

Husse wrote:Actually I've never broken a Linux I have managed to install - but there are a few I never managed to install :)
David Hunter
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:03 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Re: Linux on Laptop and sleeping problem.

Postby dawgdoc on Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:26 pm

David Hunter wrote:To do what you want, click the menu, type in "power" and click on Power Management. This will give you all the options you may wish to change.


Like David said.
Until you make this change, closing the lid only blacks the screen w/o putting the laptop into sleep or hibernate. (I use hibernate because it uses less battery power to sustain. -- But, it does take longer to come back to life.)

If you have any troubles, ensure that your swap partition is as large as, or larger than, your RAM.

I have a very similar laptop. It started w/ a 80 Gb hdd. (See my sig)
Image

SYSTEM: Compaq Presario CQ62 Dual-Boot: Mint 13 Gnome x32 PAE, LMDE
READING: The Autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini
User avatar
dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9
 
Posts: 2690
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:53 am
Location: Kentucky, USA the land of Mint Juleps

Re: Linux on Laptop and sleeping problem.[SOLVED]

Postby recycleme85 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:54 pm

Thanks. This was very insightful. Wonderful support from the forums here. No flaming at all.
recycleme85
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: Linux on Laptop and sleeping problem.

Postby recycleme85 on Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:58 pm

dawgdoc wrote:
David Hunter wrote:To do what you want, click the menu, type in "power" and click on Power Management. This will give you all the options you may wish to change.


Like David said.
Until you make this change, closing the lid only blacks the screen w/o putting the laptop into sleep or hibernate. (I use hibernate because it uses less battery power to sustain. -- But, it does take longer to come back to life.)

If you have any troubles, ensure that your swap partition is as large as, or larger than, your RAM.

I have a very similar laptop. It started w/ a 80 Gb hdd. (See my sig)


Yea i did a little upgrading n mine. 160 gig HD,3 gigs of ram. Mine is a HP DV6815nr came with a AMD Turion64 x2 Dual 2.0 gig CPU and 512meg Nividia graphics. No problem at all running Linux Mint 7. Though it is a little sluggish opening apps. Like when i click on thnderbid it takes a good 4 to 5 seconds to open. Other than that its great.
recycleme85
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: Linux on Laptop and sleeping problem.[SOLVED]

Postby David Hunter on Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:27 am

recycleme85 wrote:Wonderful support from the forums here. No flaming at all.

lol give us time. :lol: :D
Image
Thanks beyecixramd!

Husse wrote:Actually I've never broken a Linux I have managed to install - but there are a few I never managed to install :)
David Hunter
Level 3
Level 3
 
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:03 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia


Return to Newbie Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: papa33 and 15 guests