Dual boot / Bianca KDE / mintDisc /Shared partition [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Dual boot / Bianca KDE / mintDisc /Shared partition [SOLVED]

Postby Totally Infected on Wed Jun 27, 2007 5:59 pm

Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up a dual boot (win Xp and Bianca KDE) system for my parents in the hope that they will make the transition. They can't really handle the constant security attention that windows requires.

I have the it setup with 3 partitions (excluding the swap and MBR) for Win XP, Linux, and a shared FAT 32 storage partition for documents, music, pictures and user profiles (firefox so far). The setup is working nicely on the XP side (even the firefox profiles and extensions) but I'm having trouble with Bianca.

I chose not to put Casandra on it because it's an old Dell and pretty much got stuck trying to boot up the live cd. I chose KDE over Gnome because it's a bit more appealing and the menu is more intuitive for them - and I want them to be impressed enough to use it.

The problem I'm having is that I can't get the FAT 32 partition to show up. The Win XP, NTFS partition shows up just fine on the desk top and in the directory files but not so for the FAT 32. I added a mount point for it to the 'system settings' => 'Sys. Admin. => "Disk & Filesystems' but that seems to have been the wrong route - I now have a 'file folder' in media as my mount point but the contents of the partition aren't inside. I installed mint disc specifically from the repository but it said there were errors. It shows up in the menu but doesn't exectute. I looked through the instructions for people with mintDisc problems and there seemed to be plenty of variance between successes and failures.

If there's a recent -This is what needs to be done- approach, please fill me in. I imagine I may have screwed things up so that it'll be easier to reinstall Bianca and then set it up rather than backtracking my failures and then redoing - and I can live with that.

Thanks for any help.
Totally Infected
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Update

Postby Totally Infected on Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:18 pm

Okay - trial and error...

I guess what was giving me an issue was that I was trying to mount my shared partition, /dev/hda4 in a 'named' folder, /media/Shared\ Storage. Changing it to /media/hda4 apparently worked as I realized when booting up today - everything's there - YAY! except not very 'computer-averse-person' friendly in the naming - I'd much rather see 'Shared Storage' and 'Windows Boot Drive' on the desktop then 'hda4' and 'hda1' but I've still got bigger things to fix, namely my undiscovered wireless card, which is the same model I have working on another Mint platform and the PCI version of the PMCIA card I have working on a Bianca KDE installed laptop - :?
Totally Infected
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions