Trying this out

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
username

Trying this out

Post by username »

As a new user of LM7 gloria, KDE4, I have a few simple (I hope) questions that if answered, would go a long ways towards furthering my enjoyment of using it. The first, but not the most important to me, is how do I make my multiple desktops appear on the panel? I noticed the other day that while the desktop was loading, 2desktop squares (the number I specified) really quickly disappeared beneath the volume, Klipper, wired network, padlock, box. I tried to move that box to gain access to them, but wasn't able to do it. So they are hidden. How do I get them to show in the panel?

Secondly, when I try to set a screensaver all I get is a black screen. My settings won't stick. My graphics info is: RV280 [Radeon 9250 PRO] ATI 128MB, with 1280X1024 res. I unticked the power savings as I don't have a laptop, and did forum searches, but couldn't find relevent advice. How do I get screensavers to kick in? I'm thinking this may be a kde4 bug, as the same thing happened on another distro.

Thirdly, It'd be nice if right-clicking would have more options like Move To dialog, or Save as Wallpaper, etc. like KDE 3.5X did.

Lastly, I wonder if there's a way to expand upon GUI features for system settings like backups, setting default applications. Are there add-on system utilities in the repository for Linux Mint/kde4?

This isn't intended to be criticism. I hope I don't offend LM aficianados or those more experienced & savy. I've downloaded & read the user guide and I'm enjoying using this so far. Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Trying this out

Post by richyrich »

This isn't intended to be criticism
Image . . no comment!

EDIT : Gosh, I wish people would use Google . . . (firstly, secondly and thirdly) http://www.kde.org/ . . (lastly) Synaptic Package Manager.
username

Post by username »

Richyrich: Thank you for the link. I read here somewhere that it wasn't recommended to use synaptic with linux mint, so i haven't tried that. You're free believe what you want, but it really wasn't a complaint about LM.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

username, I did not view your post as complaining at all.

Edit: You can use Synaptic if you like, I do. You just have to be a lot more careful about what you update. Kernel updates come to mind because so many people break their system from kernel upgrades they do not really need. It all has to do with the old saying, "If it ain't broke don't fix it." I have used level 4 and 5 updates to fix things that just were not getting fixed from the default repos. I know the consequences of making a mistake and understand the steps needed to undo any damage I might have caused too. :)
username

Post by username »

exploder: thanks for the reply. I think I'll try synaptic as that's what I've used in the past to see what's avaliable. I appreciate your cautionary note as I too am painfully aware of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" adage. I wish I hadn't upgraded to kde4 on my other distribution as it really borked things. Having the Latest & Greatest can sometimes be a mistake, especially if you don't have a recent backup. :(
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

username, glad I could be of help. We all bork our systems from time to time. Experience is the best teacher! :)
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

I like the opposite adage
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/02/06/nyreg ... te-it.html

Investigate it
--whether it is broke or not; and how would we know except in a limited way
For if we only accept what is delivered, we never learn anything
http://lawrencehallofscience.org/foss/n ... Broke.html
http://dafixer.blogspot.com/
  • If it ain't broke, fix it anyway!
This is the old style school of preventative maintenance, quite often used by managers to seem more competent or business-like than they are
  • Due to various system problems and outages, I have initiated a system freeze for the next 3 months
    --no changes are allowed unless they have been authorized.
--and the authorizations if any will be by committee (hang together)
Of course you know, nothing will be authorized, the systems will stabilize and others will view those results as beneficial

Return to “Beginner Questions”