Speed Up SATA Drive

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DrHu

Re: Speed Up SATA Drive

Post by DrHu »

dnzota wrote:My current transfer rate is 20-25 MB/s. On windows I have 100-150 MB/s - I can move a 700 MB .avi file in 4-5 seconds. What is the problem in Linux?
More context needed: hardware
The motherboard model # would help, and if you have that information
  • An Internet search on that model # + Linux + sata might get you a quicker answer..
Where is that file you are transferring in Linux with that slower rate, is it on the windows partition ?
--how does windows do in transferring data from the Linux partition into windows in terms of speed
  • I guess I have to assume some things with no context provided
    • You have windows and Linux installed into there own partitions, so that they boot separately
    • You may have a shared directory (folder), but on which OS ?
    • If you don't have a shared folder, you mount the alternative OS partition depending on which OS you boot
    • If the boot OS is windows, how does it see the Linux file system
      --which methods do you use ?
    I could go on and on..but you must be getting the idea by now..
dnzota wrote:One more thing: mouse has spikes when I copy something.
I don't know what mouse has spikes means
  • but mouse or system instabilities makes it sound like power problems..
And how do you determine the transfer rate in Linux
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-fast- ... -disk.html
In a terminal, check
  • hdparm -t /dev/sda
    --where /dev/sd? is your Sata device hard drive /partition
Do you have a clip on that drive setting it into Sata 1/II mode (150MB/s), ,lowest speed for compatibility with mainboard chipsets..
http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/20 ... t_see.html
sata drive clips, jumpers..

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/new ... ves-stupid
  • In fact, considering that no single SATA drive can actually sustain transfer speeds above 150 MB/s (not even 100 MB/s), the faster interface is probably the most useless of the new features defined by the committee. It'll only give you an advantage when using port multipliers. NCQ, staggered spin-up and hot-plugging all make a much bigger difference, especially in server environments. The 150 GB Raptor, for example, supports all those features, but uses a 1.5 Gb/s interface (which doesn't prevent it from being faster than drives with a 3 Gb/s interface, BTW)"
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Beginner Questions”