Mint Installation

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Mint Installation

Postby RobertCoulson on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:23 pm

Hello...Before I try to install Linux Mint, I have a couple of concerns...Hope someone has the answers...???

1 - I have a "C" drive and a "D" drive, can I tell Mint to install to the "D" drive and not touch my Windows XP...???
2 - My "D" drive is 40m...Can I leave that the same size while installing Mint...???
3 - Will Windows/Mint dual boot (ya a stupid question).

Thanks very much...
Robert Coulson
RobertCoulson
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint Installation

Postby mzsade on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:47 pm

Your Windows will be untouched and you can install wherever you want, although the terminology will be different. Please refer tohttp://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=13252
Linux User #481272 Reg: 15th Sept., 2008
mzsade
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Jankers on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:01 pm

Firstly, Mint and XP will live together happily.

Yes, you can install to your 'D' drive, but it will show as either "hdb" or "sdb" rather than "C" or "D" as you get in Microsoft stuff.

If you simply want to install to the whole of your second drive then you should be ok to go,
Just follow the instructs on the live disc for install, but, make very sure you flip the drive location to "sdb" in step 4, before you submit to the install.
If you leave it as sda (this should be your C drive), you will overwrite Windows. There is some info on that screen, including warnings about overwrites.

You can play around on the screen (step 4) without harm provided you do not submit the changes (not sure of the exact terminology used) so you should be ok.

If you are in any doubt, back up all data to hard copy/dvd/whatever.

J.
Jankers
Level 1
Level 1

Postby RobertCoulson on Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:04 pm

Thanks guys for the info...Was a little nervous, will take your advice....Thanks very much again.
Robert Coulson
RobertCoulson
Level 1
Level 1

Postby RobertCoulson on Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:58 am

Oh, OH,what I meant is that I have a "C" drive and a "D" drive on the SAME drive...It is a 80gig drive with 40 on the "C" portion and 40 on the "D" portion...Does that make a difference...??
Bob
RobertCoulson
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Jankers on Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:06 am

RobertCoulson wrote:Oh, OH,what I meant is that I have a "C" drive and a "D" drive on the SAME drive...It is a 80gig drive with 40 on the "C" portion and 40 on the "D" portion...Does that make a difference...??
Bob

Yes it does. You have two partitions on the one drive.

My post assumed two drives.

Grub should still pick it up, but if you get the option, make sure you apply the boot entry to the /(root) partition (your "d" drive reference).

i am new to this bootloader so will check it out.

J.
Jankers
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Jankers on Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:54 am

Ok

Just tried the live Cd, there are no boot options visible.

My Cd install procedure (Gloria) shows three option,"Single disk" (A definite NO-No), "side by side" (i assume this will give dual boot, though i have not tried it myself, and the "manual" mode.

i list them just so you can check yours is the same.

Do you have anything on your "D" drive?

If anyone knows if the "side by side" option will dual boot without problem, please step in (all my linux stuff is on a second drive) as the help manual is not clear on this point.

If you have access to a formating tool, Acronis/Qtparted/Gparted, it may be better to use that to set up a swap partition and a 'linux' partition, then use the "manual" option, your drive should look like this after the install, no matter which route you go down.

Windows (40 gb) - Linux (39 gb) - Swap (1gb) and the Linux partition will include the "/" (root), "Home" and "tmp" folders need for operation.

At this stage i am guessing the "side by side" option should work, these folk have been doing this distro for many years.

Best of luck, which ever way you choose,

J.
Jankers
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions