Mint 7 & SickBoy kernel

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mac100

Mint 7 & SickBoy kernel

Post by mac100 »

Installed Mint 7 and very pleased with it. I have Acer Aspire One and am running the SickBoy Kernel because it loads quicker and the Wifi works well. However every application I load brings up the following error at the end of the install 'E: linux-image-2.6.29.1.20090414.sickboy: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2'. The applications all run perfectly well so is this error something I need to worry about / do some thing about, or can I safely continue to ignore it?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Mint 7 & SickBoy kernel

Post by DrHu »

mac100 wrote:Installed Mint 7 and very pleased with it. I have Acer Aspire One and am running the SickBoy Kernel because it loads quicker and the Wifi works well. However every application I load brings up the following error at the end of the install 'E: linux-image-2.6.29.1.20090414.sickboy: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2'.
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-974262.html
Kernel mismatch problem is likeliest
-as long as you don't try to update the system in the normal Mint manner, and manage the install of applications yourself, it probably won't be a problem..

http://www.aspireonekernel.com/
It is probably to do with the repository being used and their kernel changes (sickboy)
--although he indicates kernel 2.6.29
--does he tell you which repository to use or which version of Ubuntu based repository to use, he says anything better than Ubuntu 8.04, or Ubuntu derived for his kernel

So if you opened a terminal on that machine, and..

In terminal, check
  • uname -a
--what does it show

Second problem, how will you update mint 7 using that kernel, you can't just use
  • sudo apt-get update
  • sudo apt-get upgrade
--that will look at mint repositories for updates, and likely fail (kernel mismatches )

Return to “Beginner Questions”