Mounting sdb1 in XFCE

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fb22

Mounting sdb1 in XFCE

Post by fb22 »

Hiya,

I want to know how to mount second hard drives formatted in ext3.

I added a second hard drive to my system. It showed up on the desktop as 78GB NTFS. I used gparted to create a new partition table and created a new partition sdb1 in ext3. After re-booting, the desktop icon disappeared.

I couldn't find sdb1 anywhere, so I tried using the mount command with no success. After reading the man page for mount, and searching the forum, I get the impression that I have to edit /etc/fstab in order to get the partition to mount and be accessible in thunar.

my current /etc/fstab is as follows:

Code: Select all

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# Use 'vol_id --uuid' to print the universally unique identifier for a
# device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices
# that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5).
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
# / was on /dev/sda6 during installation
UUID=22da4cdc-c6a8-48a3-b72a-1e6c770fabdd /               ext3    relatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /home was on /dev/sda7 during installation
UUID=6f82f91e-4634-411c-bad5-3e43f07e7ce5 /home           ext3    relatime        0       2
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=2aa9d4b6-c9e8-4fa1-8070-796baabf6f69 none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
/dev/fd0        /media/floppy0  auto    rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0
I'm adding the additional disk to have somewhere to write my data whilst I fix my ugly partition arrangement. :oops:

I have a 19GB NTFS partition on hda that I want to remove, and I want to get / and /boot in separate partitions on the front end of the HDD.

My work around is to re-format hdb in NTFS and copy my data there while I do a re-install. The NTFS partition shows up no problem on my desktop.

My guess is that I'd use vol_id --uuid and add a line to /etc/fstab like:

UUID=<uuid> /data           ext3    relatime        0       2
Suggestions?

Regards,

-FHB
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Mounting sdb1 in XFCE

Post by Husse »

You can use the line for home as a pattern -but you must first create a mount point and I suggest you do that in home
You make a folder, call it bkp or whatever you like in home
Then the line becomes

/dev/sdb1 /home/bkp           ext3    relatime        0       2
And this must of course be done as root - gksu thunar would give you root
You could look up the UUID with blkid if you like - the command is simply blkid
You could copy the first part of the line and remove the quotation marks (remember that!)

Return to “Beginner Questions”