How to add software in software portal?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
WinXpNewb
Level 3
Level 3

How to add software in software portal?

Post by WinXpNewb »

Hi everyone.

So I'm back again on Mint after I got frustrated with the amount of drivers to install on Windows.

Sorry if this is a common question but I can't find how to do it anywhere.

I couldn't find two software I constantly use in there and the Deluge torrent for Gloria hasn't been updated yet even though a reviewer has mentioned it before.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MaddogF16

Re: How to add software in software portal?

Post by MaddogF16 »

Did you try using synaptic package manager?
WinXpNewb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by WinXpNewb »

Yeah. Both applications as far as I know aren't in Synaptic but it's no big deal.

There's a .deb for one of the application and the source for the other is fairly simple to extract.

I'm more worried about the state of the software portal since that's where newbies of Mint are more likely to head.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

WinXpNewb wrote:I'm more worried about the state of the software portal since that's where newbies of Mint are more likely to head
OK, don't know what the other application was..I am not worried
Linux Mint has available
  • Software manager: Mintupdate
  • Package manager: Synaptic
  • Apt: from a terminal
  • removed: if you want to use it
  • Ubuntu PPA; if you don't mind user supplied software, or want bleeding edge
  • Source file: if you want to read the user guide for Mint or check on the Internet how to install software on Linux
I would have thought they would rather use the tools of the desktop (the OS), than seek out a software portal on the web
--that's how windows does it: install applications on the desktop using the windows update manager, including any OS updates

In terminal, check
  • apt search deluge
    p deluge - bittorrent client written in Python/PyGTK
    apt show deluge
    Package: deluge
    State: not installed
    Version: 1.1.6+dfsg-2ubuntu1
--in synaptic, it is all in one display; well, apart from mouse clicks to find the additional TABbed information

Ubuntu 9.04 (jaunty) deluge versions
http://dev.deluge-torrent.org/wiki/Download
Normal, the 1.16 version used by Linux Mint 7 main edition
PPA repository, does have version 1.2 available: jaunty (9.04) or Karma Koala (9.10)
  • That is hardly going to be in the Mint software portal, which tracks Ubuntu files for the same version base (Mint 7 ~ Ubuntu 9.04)
WinXpNewb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by WinXpNewb »

I would have thought they would rather use the tools of the desktop (the OS), than seek out a software portal on the web
--that's how windows does it: install applications on the desktop using the windows update manager, including any OS updates
I don't know why you posted that. (Maybe it was a miscommunication on my part???)

MintUpdate is the primary Software Manager on Mint. (or is that MintInstall? It says MintInstall but you said MintUpdate)

MintUpdate syncs with the Software Portal for information.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

WinXpNewb wrote:I don't know why you posted that. (Maybe it was a miscommunication on my part???)
MintUpdate syncs with the Software Portal for information.
Does it, OK then..
--I thought it synced against the Ubuntu + Mint repositories, but I guess it can also get some information from the software portal..

OK, I meant Mintinstall (mint menu>Software manager)
--that's a minor error, easily deciphered when anyone looks at the mint menu>Software manager

I don't know why you posted that...
Because that is the exact method that a normal windows desktop user (the perceived new users) will use to update or install applications; in that Linux mint is very little different
--I also picked windows example, because that is the general case, and your user name (WinXpNewb) suggests a windows user

Why, the answer has to be the usual, Why not..
http://www.linuxmint.com/software/
I posted that, because I am not at all worried about where users might look, I don't think they will all be looking to the mint software portal, or only there
WinXpNewb
Level 3
Level 3

Post by WinXpNewb »

Oh ok. I understand now.

I was seeing it more through the perspective that since MintInstall is the main Software Manager, it was more important to make it the best.

After all, all mint tools wouldn't be the only resource newbies would check if the tools never existed. (and most newbies wouldn't find those tools pre-installed in other distroes) but they make things easier.

The bleeding edge situation is something I see similar to the MintUpdate situation.

Earlier on, MintUpdate didn't add the feature of application priorities but it eventually did for the sake of newbies.

apt, removed and Synaptic all have one similar problem in that you can't see the comments while you're downloading and installing the application.

removed probably the more forgiving of this but Mint's capability to capture the comments is potentially more useful and better for newbies in the long run. (especially if it can segment ratings and comments into distro and stable recently updated apps from legitimate bleeding edge versions of the applications)

Return to “Beginner Questions”