Upgrading

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
revmalc

Upgrading

Post by revmalc »

How easy is it to upgrade from one version of Mint to the next?
Specifically, Iam new to Linux, tho' experienced in Windows.
I gather Mint 8 is now imminent. Should I get 7 now, and upgradel ater, or wait for the new version?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: Upgrading

Post by DataMan »

A few non-technical things to ponder on an upgrade:

1. Is something broken / defective on the current version that you are using that is addressed in the new version?
2. Is a capability that you don't have in the current version part of the new version (assuming that you need it).
3. Is the new version full of glitch's and if so, can you tolerate disruptions on your production install?

Normally, the upgrade can be accomplished in 2 fashions:
1. As a re-write over your existing installation. This in essence destroys your original install version and you are fully committed from that point on. New released versions usually have this as an option.
2. Do a fresh install of the new version in addition to your current installation. This will preserve your production installation while you "kick the tires" on the new version. There are ways to transfer your settings to the new version (search is your friend). This is my personal preference as I actually need to have a stable production installation at all times (I telecommute on a regular basis).

Just a few meanderings...

-DataMan
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

As the release of LinuxMint-8 RC Helena is only days away.

I'd wait!! As doing a 'fresh' install is always better.
Why install LM-7 now, then in a few days do another install of LM-8?

Doing a fresh/new install of a Distro is always better than upgrading from one version to another.
Especially, if you are a Linux n00b ... sometimes updating/upgrading versions of a Distro comes with bugs/glitches/kinks
Better to avoid them ... and do a fresh install.

And Helena-8 will be here before you know it. :mrgreen:
KittyCat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KittyCat »

If Mint 8 is only days away, I have a question: How long will 7 be supported? I just installed it and like it, but if it won't be supported with updates for much longer, should I move to 8 soon?
Learning Mint, in Julia, on a desktop with 3.0GHz Pentium 4, GeForce 7800GS, 2GB RAM, and Belkin F5D8053. :)
The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they’ll go. -- TWEWY
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

Mint 7 still has over 11 months of support
KittyCat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KittyCat »

Perfect. Thanks! :)

I will stay in Mint 7 then, since it seems to be working so well. I need a mojito wallpaper for it...
Learning Mint, in Julia, on a desktop with 3.0GHz Pentium 4, GeForce 7800GS, 2GB RAM, and Belkin F5D8053. :)
The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they’ll go. -- TWEWY
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

KittyKat:

Your wish is my commend:
http://www.fotosearch.com/photos-images/mojito.html

Welcome to LinuxMint and if Gloria (7) works keep using it. No need to upgrade, yet.
KittyCat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by KittyCat »

Mmm, mojitos.... :)

Gloria works really well, aside from the total lack of flash in Firefx, but that happens in Windows too, I had just forgottten about it. I'm trying to fix that now, but may end up making a thread about it if it keeps defying me.

I will now return this thread to its regular scheduled programming.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Open ended questions, what lovely things. This one is sure to generate a lot of opinions.
revmalc wrote:How easy is it to upgrade from one version of Mint to the next?
I started with Mint6 and then changed to Mint7 and did the fresh/full install route for the change. Keeping all of your data in partitions separate from the root partition makes a fresh install much easier. Clem and the rest of the Mint Team recommend a fresh install. However, a week or two after the distro is released, upgrade instructions are generally published.

If you are not yet using Mint, vrkalak makes an excellent point.
vrkalak wrote: I'd wait!! As doing a 'fresh' install is always better. Why install LM-7 now, then in a few days do another install of LM-8?
If you are already using Mint7 and definitely want to move to Mint8, Dataman gives very sound advice:
DataMan wrote:... Is something broken / defective on the current version that you are using that is addressed in the new version?

... Do a fresh install of the new version in addition to your current installation. This will preserve your production installation while you "kick the tires" on the new version. There are ways to transfer your settings to the new version (search is your friend). This is my personal preference as I actually need to have a stable production installation at all times (I telecommute on a regular basis).
I usually wait for a while before changing OSes, I let the others find the bugs and then decide if I will make the change. If I move up to Mint8, I will probably wait a month or more before making a fresh install of it. (Never upgraded Windows until sometime after the first service pack was released, if even then.) I'm not usually one to live on the bleeding edge. Although I have updated a few programs to versions newer than found in the Mint repositories by adding ubuntu repositories (Pidgin). I have also added programs from deb packages, such as lightscribe support.

In Mint I believe the development team backports all security patches and bug fixes to versions that are still supported, and definitely to the LTS release that is still in the support cycle. Mint7 will be supported until about October 2010. It is much more likely that I will skip Mint8 altogether and go for Mint9 once it has been out for a month or more. Mint9 is the next LTS, Long Term Support release and is expected to be supported until April 2013.

Return to “Beginner Questions”