Another Dual Boot Question

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Another Dual Boot Question

Postby antiquexray on Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:49 am

Now that I've been successful making a dual boot box, is it possible to drag and drop files back and forth between the Mint and XP partitions?
antiquexray
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

RE:

Postby trianglman on Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:38 pm

as long as you have the windows partition mounted as read-write, you can copy back and forth. This is the default if your windows partition is FAT32. If it's NTFS rw is available, but, afaik, still experimental. I don't know for sure if it is enabled by default, but you can edit your /etc/fstab for the partition and remount it.

Windows, however, can't recognize most (any?) Linux partition formats, so you can't read or write any linux files from windows.
trianglman
Level 1
Level 1

Postby OU812 on Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:18 pm

Hello. I have been very successful using a vfat partition to use a shared partition. However, I have successfully used an ntfs partition as rw in one distro, but not so well in another. Of course the problem with vfat is that you can't have an individual file > 4 gigs.

john

P.S. I have a fairly recent linux magazine addressing this very issue; when I have time I will find it and post some of the finer points of the article.
OU812
Level 3
Level 3

Re: RE:

Postby bluphoenyx on Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:33 pm

trianglman wrote:Windows, however, can't recognize most (any?) Linux partition formats, so you can't read or write any linux files from windows.

There is support for the ext2/3 file system. I don't know if the code is being supported now but there were several projects which work pretty well. I used the ext3 driver when I still used a dual boot on my laptop.

Got rid of XP on it and have no plans to use Vista on any of the systems I maintain.

Cheers,
Mike T
bluphoenyx
Level 1
Level 1

Postby speaker219 on Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:03 pm

Meh.
Windows sucks but you can still use ext2/ext3 on it:
http://www.fs-driver.org/
speaker219
Level 2
Level 2