AVG installation unsuccessful [Solved]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

AVG installation unsuccessful [Solved]

Postby mathazar102 on Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:31 pm

Hello! I am pretty new to Linux, so please bear with me. :) (I have Linux Mint Gloria 7.) I know that Linux is considerably less vulnerable to viruses in comparison to Windows. However, I wanted to install an anti-virus to be on the safe side. I successfully downloaded the .deb version of the free AVG software and attempted to run this command that was shown in the Read Me documentation:

sudo dpkg -i avg85lms-r290-a2950.i386.deb

It was not able to find the archive file. I tried going to the opt/avg/avg8/bin directory that was created in order to run the command there and it still doesn't work. I got rid of the software for now with the sudo dpkg -r avg85lms command.

Can anybody with experience with AVG give me any suggestions of what I may be doing incorrectly? Would Clam be simpler to use and is it as effective as AVG? If someone likes a different anti-virus better for Mint, could you let me know? Thank you very much! :)
Last edited by mathazar102 on Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mathazar102
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: AVG installation unsuccessful

Postby rippedcb on Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:08 pm

you would have to navigate in terminal to where u stored ur downloaded package. Alternatively you should just be able to double click the downloaded file to begin installation.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches.
~Alice Roosevelt Longworth ~
rippedcb
Level 3
Level 3

Postby lagagnon on Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:40 pm

Unless you are serving emails and Windows files to Windows machines on your network from your Linux machine then anti-virus software is a waste of time and effort, ie not required.
lagagnon
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Fred on Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:16 am

Also slows your system down for no good reason. There isn't much reason to check for Windows viruses on a Linux desktop unless you are serving Windows computers.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby atlef on Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:53 am

What about sharing files with friends? Shouldn't one at least check those?

atlef.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Postby mick55 on Sun Nov 08, 2009 4:26 am

hi mathazar102

AVG dramatically slows down Mint.

Install Bitdefender, it works great and it's one
of the best Anti-virus scanners there is.

Plus it's in the repositories.

Open Package Manager, search for Bitdefender,
mark for installation and apply.

It works as an on demand scanner so it uses no
resources except when you're running a scan.

I use it and i like it :D

cheers
mick
Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.

Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969)
mick55
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Dean on Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:35 am

Anti-virus's in general will slow down any computer. As many have said before, with Linux you really don't need to run a anti-virus. If you feel the need to then Bit Defender would be a better option as mick had suggested. However, keep in mind that there have only been around 40 viruses known to the Linux system, most of which have been in controlled environments for testing purposes and non of which have caused wide spread damage. Windows on the other hand has thousands of viruses, hundreds of which have caused wide spread damage. Most Linux users, in fact I would dare to say, real Linux users do no use a anit-virus and have not done so for years.
Dean
Level 1
Level 1

Postby DrHu on Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:30 am

atlef wrote:What about sharing files with friends? Shouldn't one at least check those?

No, tell them to check, just like you will if you get files from them
--if its a window's file, it will only affect windows (*.exe) as an example, and only be able to run in windows OS or a VM or under wine!

If I was trading lots of files, I would be tempted to use a sandbox for reception, a way station while I checked out the files I was receiving..
--I don't think I could depend only on any anti-virus program..

To quote Lieutenant Caine on Miami CSI
"Trust but verify"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trust,_but_verify
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby mathazar102 on Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:08 pm

Thank you all for your advice! :D
mathazar102
Level 1
Level 1

Postby GrayWizardLinux on Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:26 pm

Hey Fred, just noticed that you are up to level 10. Congrats!!! :)
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions