The switch from Windows to Ubuntu to Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

The switch from Windows to Ubuntu to Mint

Postby kntbrat on Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:16 pm

Well, I had originally set my laptop up to dual boot, with Windows and Ubuntu. I loved Ubuntu so much I used it more than I did Windows. But after I'd been using it for about 5 months I noticed that odds things were going on whenever I booted to Ubuntu (I rarely used Windows once I installed Ubuntu). My applications would change, or turn off or on, my desktop shifted with icons moved. And I couldn't get my fire starter to work, even with remote desktop assistance. So... I went and obtained a Live CD of the same version of Ubuntu on my laptop and installed it. At the same time, I wiped Windows Vista entirely from my laptop. THEN I upgraded to Ubuntu 10.0. Suddenly I had all my controls back, my fire starter disappeared but I found another fire wall to take it's place (it was a service packet included with the upgrade to version 10.0), nothing moved, everything worked. I was happy! But after a few days (maybe 2-3 days) something else started happening. Whenever I logged into my google gmail, or facebook accounts I'd find instances of attempted redirects. I then installed "Redirect Cleaner" from Monzilla Fire Fox and the attempts stopped. But gradually they began again, and again, and again. At this point my Internet connection seemed to slow down and it took forever to check email, write comments in facebook or play my facebook games. And the redirect attempts came more frequently which continued to slow my Internet connections down. I had also installed Fire Fox's "No Script" and that had prevents quite a few bad scripts from being installed. But overall, things were getting very, VERY bad. Things came to a head when I found I could only connect to the Internet but do nothing else. I couldn't check email, get into my facebook account. I couldn't even get into my web browser. I'd get repeat messages stating that I'm not connected to the Internet but my computer's status clearly shows that I AM connected. That's when I discovered that whenever I logged on to my apartments wireless connection (Humboldt Gardens) I'd be redirected to another wireless (Humboldt Gardens bad gateway OR Humboldt Gardens Scanning). So! I tried to talk to people about the possibility that my computer is compromised but most insisted that Ubuntu cannot be "hacked". So... when I was unable to connect to the Internet, in desperation, I went to see some people who work with computers and asked them to burn me a live CD of Linux Mint. I took that CD and installed Linux Mint to my laptop, totally wiping out Ubuntu from my comptuer (or so I think). Suddenly everything is working, I can connect to the Internet again, and my fire wall is up. However... when I first began using Mint I found that the packet games that came with Ubuntu were on Mint. The first day I logged into Mint I played these games... such as Chess, Mahjongg, Black Jack... BUT! The very next day... suddenly my games are nowhere to be found! I haven't found them in the software or package manager. Their just gone!

Can anybody tell me what's going on?
kntbrat
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: The switch from Windows to Ubuntu to Mint

Postby mick55 on Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:28 pm

I'll take an ounce of whatever you're smoking :mrgreen:

Also, Ubuntu 10.0 does not exist. :lol:

have a nice day
mick
Things are more like they are now than they ever were before.

Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890 - 1969)
mick55
Level 7
Level 7

Postby kntbrat on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:10 pm

Mere typo mitch. It's Ubuntu 9.10 that I had upgraded to. And I saw what I saw and experienced what I'd experienced and unhelpful replies from people like you aren't desired. Have a nice day!
kntbrat
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kntbrat on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:12 pm

Opps! And there's another mistake there... you're mick, not mitch.... my bad! Heh!
kntbrat
Level 1
Level 1

Postby vrkalak on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:40 pm

Of course ... the next upgrade of Ubuntu goes to 10.04 Alpha (testing) on December 3rd. :P
:: LinuxMint-Debian-Edition (Fluxbox) :: Manjaro/Arch (Xfce) ::
Registered Linux User: #497031 :: DeviantART Page
vrkalak
Level 10
Level 10

Postby mick55 on Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:47 pm

hi kntbrat

There have been a lot of trolls here recently.
I wasn't sure if you were kidding around or not.
No offence intended if your problem is real.
Check the thread below and then come back here.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=33561&p=193724#p193724
peace
mick :)

mick55
Level 7
Level 7

Postby kntbrat on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:43 am

Okay, mick, I read that post and understand. I originally came to Mint Forum because I had been chatting with somebody on the IRC Mint and I'd described what had happened when I'd switched OS's. He tried to walk me through a series of steps to locate the missing games using the terminal but we came up blank. He felt it "interesting and intriguing" (his words) enough to have me post it here in the forum. I agree to do so. The problem is I just didn't know where to post it. Hence I just picked what seemed like the best match and had at it. If this is not the proper place to post my problem and questions Could you please direct me to the right place, thank you!
kntbrat
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mick55 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:43 am

Hi again

See if you can install the games from the Command line

Open terminal[Menu-->Terminal]
and run this command
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install gnome-games

This should download and install the games you referenced.

Good Luck
mick

mick55
Level 7
Level 7

Postby kntbrat on Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:37 pm

Thank you very much mick! I got my games back. My chess game is slow but I'm working on that. I still think it's odd that they were included in the install, then disappeared the next day, then I got them back (through your apt-get command suggestion). It's a question I'd hoped somebody would be interested enough to investigate and help me find an answer to. Anyway, thanks again very much!
kntbrat
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mick55 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:06 pm

hi again kntbrat

I'm glad it worked out for you.

Sorry about the pot joke, but the Twilight Zone nature of your
problem and the reference to "Humboldt Gardens" was too
much to pass up. :D

peace
mick

mick55
Level 7
Level 7

Postby dawgdoc on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:29 pm

kntbrat wrote: I still think it's odd that they were included in the install, then disappeared the next day, then I got them back (through your apt-get command suggestion).

It is odd to me for a different reason. Installed Mint6/Felicia and now have Mint7/Gloria and have installed each of them on a desktop or two and never were the games present at install. On a couple of the machines I added them after the fact with Package Manager.

SYSTEM: Compaq Presario CQ62 Dual-Boot: Mint 17 Cinnamon, LMDE
READING: Smoke Screen by Dick Francis
dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Postby mick55 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:43 pm

Perhaps the games are available when running the Live CD. :?

mick55
Level 7
Level 7

Postby dawgdoc on Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:56 pm

mick55 wrote:Perhaps the games are available when running the Live CD. :?

Good thought. I never used the live CDs long enough to check. I pretty much put in the CDs then install, even the first time.

SYSTEM: Compaq Presario CQ62 Dual-Boot: Mint 17 Cinnamon, LMDE
READING: Smoke Screen by Dick Francis
dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9

Postby KittyCat on Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:14 am

dawgdoc wrote:

Good thought. I never used the live CDs long enough to check. I pretty much put in the CDs then install, even the first time.

They were on my live CD when I was running it off a USB stick... I never tried to run them but they were in the menu, I know that for a fact.
Learning Mint, in Julia, on a desktop with 3.0GHz Pentium 4, GeForce 7800GS, 2GB RAM, and Belkin F5D8053. :)
The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they’ll go. -- TWEWY
KittyCat
Level 2
Level 2

Postby mick55 on Tue Nov 10, 2009 1:53 am

Looks like the case is solved :D

...or is it :?

mick55
Level 7
Level 7

Postby kntbrat on Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:15 pm

KittyCat wrote:
dawgdoc wrote:

They were on my live CD when I was running it off a USB stick... I never tried to run them but they were in the menu, I know that for a fact.

If they were available for KittyCat, then they must have been available for me. What confuses me is why they disappeared after only a day's use by me (especially the chess and mahjongg games).

Mysteries, MYSTERIES!!
kntbrat
Level 1
Level 1

Postby KittyCat on Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:30 pm

If it makes you feel any better, they're gone now. :D I have made a lot of changes to the menu though, so that might be why. I wanted the games I installed to be on the menu, not the pre-installed ones.
Learning Mint, in Julia, on a desktop with 3.0GHz Pentium 4, GeForce 7800GS, 2GB RAM, and Belkin F5D8053. :)
The world ends with you. If you want to enjoy life, expand your world. You gotta push your horizons out as far as they’ll go. -- TWEWY
KittyCat
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions