Linux mint Freeze, please help!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ayoubson

Linux mint Freeze, please help!

Post by ayoubson »

Ubuntu Freeze, please help!!
Hi everyone,
I'm fairly new to Linux, and enjoying the discovery process!! But one thing that has really caused a lot of problems for me, despite using multiple versions of Linux mit/ubuntu (including the new Ubuntu 9.10 (64bit) which I installed resulting in the same problem). My favorite is Linuc mint by far and I want to make it my only OS, but this problem prevented this.

The problem:
The hardware: Computer: HP desktop: 64 bit, AMD Phantom x3, RAM 4G (see below)
Printer: Brother DCP 7020
Webcam: Microsoft Lifecam VX-1000

I have a new HP desktop which I bought a few months back, its a 64 bit AMD Phantom x3, with Nvidea graphics card (non dedicated), and 4 gigs of Ram.

It works perfectly with Windows, and almost perfectly in Linux/Ubuntu except that every time I plug in my Brother printer via USB or my webcam the computer will either freeze all together or either the keyboard or the mouse will stop working, or the system will freeze and continuous string of letters will be typed across the screen when I try to type something.
After the freeze, the only way to make the computer work is to reboot or switch the power off manually. Its a persistent and annoying issue. Just to clarify either the printer ALONE or the webcam ALONE or both together can cause the freeze.
I tried using the latest Ubuntu (32 bit/64 bit), Linux mint, and other distros as well, across the kernel range, the same problem happens.
I tried looking for help on the forums but have not found an answer.

I am hoping to ditch windows all together as I am very happy with Ubuntu and my family also likes it, but this problem has really disheartened me, as I need to use the printer.
Although the printer gets recognized, and I have no problem with the driver, and it can work prior to the freeze. The webcam doesn't get recognized at all, even though running lsusb it gets listed. (Microsoft Lifecam VX-1000).
One other thing even if I unplug the printer or the webcam before the system freezes or mafunctions, it will freeze just the same after a few minutes at best.

Thank you very much and sorry for the long thread and I hope by solving this issue we can make Mint even more better than it is already.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: Linux mint Freeze, please help!

Post by lagagnon »

Does the freeze occur when you plug the printer in/out under Windows?
ayoubson

Post by ayoubson »

No. Under windows, no freeze happens, and every thing works well.
Lkzwieder

Post by Lkzwieder »

I have a phenom x3 (8450), with 4 gb 800mhz, my MB is Asus M3A78-em (the GPU its onboard... a very good GPU...), 1gb swap memory; and I have the same issue but it happen when try to watch some movie (rmbv) and press over the progress bar to foward...

The RAM is used in a intensive way... (95%), and the swap too... I don't know why :(
plevans

Post by plevans »

I, too, am having problems with my whole system freezing up. It's happened 3-4 times in the past week; very annoying!

When it freezes up the mouse is the only thing that works, but nothing is clickable (web links, Menu button, taskbar icons).

I have to admit I am a multi-tasker and always have lots of windows open when my system freezes.

I used to have the same problem with Vista, which is why I switched to Linux. Now I'm wondering if the problem may be in my computer and wasn't poor little picked-on-Vista's fault after all.

Maybe I should write an apology letter to Microsoft for all the evil thoughts I've had about their sucky OS....nahhh....on second thought....Vista still really sucks. Even with this problem Linux is way better and I have no intention of ever going back.

My system info:
Release 7 (Gloria)
Kernel Linux 2.6.28-16-generic
Gnome 2.26.1
Memory: 1.5 GiB
Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2160 @ 1.80GHz

Is there a way to look at the log files and determine the cause of the freeze ups?

Thanks,
Patti
lagagnon

Post by lagagnon »

plevans wrote:I used to have the same problem with Vista, which is why I switched to Linux. Now I'm wondering if the problem may be in my computer and wasn't poor little picked-on-Vista's fault after all.
Yes you have a hardware fault (nothing to do wit heither Vista or Mint) - probably either a bad RAM stick, overheating or a faulty hard drive. Start by reading this:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... to#p167039

Return to “Beginner Questions”