Installed Cassandra, no sound.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Installed Cassandra, no sound.

Postby fixrman on Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:49 pm

I installed Cassandra a while ago, after deleting Bianca, Sound worked fine in Bianca, but I guess Cassie is not saying anything. Jealousy.

This is a dual boot setup with W2K, and sound is fine in 2K.
fixrman
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby uggbootcity on Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:27 am

What sound hardware have you got?

On my laptop, found that I needed to change the sound control from "front" to "surround" on my alsa mixer for me to hear sound....
uggbootcity
Level 1
Level 1

Postby fixrman on Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:30 am

Ahh, I figured it might be sumfink like that. I'll try it. I have a SB Audigy.
fixrman
Level 2
Level 2

Installed Cassandra, no sound

Postby bobpur on Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:55 pm

fixrman wrote:Ahh, I figured it might be sumfink like that. I'll try it. I have a SB Audigy.

I had the same problem on a new build. My sound card is an X-Fi Xtreme Audio which, sometimes, shows up as an Audigy card. This depends on the distro.
As far as I know, there are no open source drivers for the X-Fi cards (yet).
If you have a mobo with onboard sound, switch your plug to it. Most onboard sound works in linux.
bobpur
Level 3
Level 3

Postby philjon on Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:55 pm

From http://opensource.creative.com/soundcart.html

X-Fi series
The X-Fi series of products are not supported under Linux. (Yet)
Closed-source drivers will be available for the X-Fi series of sound cards.
It looks like the first public Beta will be available end calendar Q3 or early calendar Q4. It has taken more resources than expect to redesign our software and drivers for Vista.
It is planned that the drivers will have full support for ALSA (playback, recording, mixer, MIDI, synthesis) and OpenAL 1.1 (with EAX effects).

(NOTE: X-Fi Xtreme Audio Seems to have some support using OSS driver, "MAYBE" ALSA as well, but has not been confirmed.)

Some OEM cards and the latest retail boards will not work with the drivers included in most Linux distributions. For those cards, try the latest code from ALSA or purchase a driver from 4FrontTechnologies.

Wait and see , maybe drivers soon ! :D
philjon
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions