Problem Quitting

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
georgeg
Level 2
Level 2

Problem Quitting

Post by georgeg »

I'm trying to run Mint 3.0. While restarting the computer works pretty much as expected, selecting Quit to shut down the PC when I'm done for the day, doesn't work as expected. The computer doesn't shut down, it just goes to a black screen with a Mint logo in the center. Is this normal behavior? How am I suppose to know when its safe to pull the plug? (No, I don't leave my PC powered up 24/7)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
scorp123
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Problem Quitting

Post by scorp123 »

georgeg wrote:selecting Quit to shut down the PC when I'm done for the day, doesn't work as expected.
How old is that PC? Could be that ACPI is causing problems and thus the OS can't properly power off the PC. On some older machines it won't work properly without some minor workarounds ....

If you want to try it out:

Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst as root (you have to type this into a terminal):

Code: Select all

sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
Locate the entries that load your OS, they might look something like this (my stuff is heavily modified so it most likely will look different):
    ## ## End Default Options ##

title Cassandra, kernel 2.6.21.5
    root (hd0,4)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.21.5 root=/dev/hda6 vga=791 ro quiet splash
    initrd /initrd.img-2.6.21.5
    quiet
    savedefault
Locate the line I highlighted above and add these parameters:

apm=power-off acpi=force
The line should now read something like this:

kernel          /vmlinuz-2.6.21.5 root=/dev/hda6 vga=791 ro apm=power-off acpi=force quiet splash
As mentioned before, please apply some common sense here! Don't copy & paste my entries 1:1 -- this will probably result in your system being hosed. Just add the entries I mentioned above so that the line in your boot loader config looks similar. Leave the other entries and parts untouched :wink:

After you have applied those entries, reboot your system and try again. Does the system properly power-off now?
georgeg
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Problem Quitting

Post by georgeg »

[quote="

After you have applied those entries, reboot your system and try again. Does the system properly power-off now?[/quote]

Thanks. That did the trick. Now, Mint shuts down properly.

Return to “Beginner Questions”