[SOLVED]Nvidia drivers won't work... running SLI [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED]Nvidia drivers won't work... running SLI [SOLVED]

Postby punkthink on Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:01 pm

Hello. Decided last night to make the full switch to Linux Mint. I have no sound at the moment but my biggest concern is getting Mint to play nice with dual Nvidia 9800GT's.

Code: Select all
System:    Host punkthink-desktop Kernel 2.6.28-11-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Distro Linux Mint 7 Gloria - x64 Edition
CPU:       Quad core Intel Core2 Extreme X9650 (SMP) cache 6144 KB flags (sse3 lm vmx) bmips 29336
           Clock Speeds: (1) 3667.005 MHz (2) 3667.005 MHz (3) 3667.005 MHz (4) 3667.005 MHz
Graphics:  Card-1 nVidia GeForce 9800 GT Card-2 nVidia GeForce 9800 GT X.Org 1.6.0 Res 1680x1050@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer Software Rasterizer GLX Version Yes
Audio:     Card Creative Labs SB X-Fi at port b880
Network:   Card 2x Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver r8169r8169 at ports c800 d800
Disks:     HDD Total Size: 1502.4GB (0.2% used) 1: /dev/sda ST3750630AS 750.2GB 2: /dev/sdb ST3750630AS 750.2GB
           3: USB /dev/sdc TD Classic 003B 2.1GB
Partition: ID:/ size: 666G used: 3.0G (1%) ID:swap-1 size: 24.16GB used: 0.00GB (0%)
Info:      Processes 162 Uptime 2:12 Memory 515.0/7865.3MB Client Shell inxi 1.0.6

I have tried using the restricted hardware that pops up on first install, EnvyNG and also have downloaded the latest drivers direct from Nvidia and installed them. Each time on reboot I can no longer access Mint through a GUI, only the terminal. I've tried editing the xorg.conf replacing nvidia in the Driver section with vesa but this does not work to getting me visuals. I've reinstalled Mint 3 times now due to this though EnvyNG wasn't so bad due to making it easy to uninstall the drivers by typing envyng -t.

Bear in mind I am a Linux nub here, which feels so weird because Windows rarely, if ever, phased me. Being smarter than the average bear, I never became virus-laden and such, I just finally grew tired of how damned slow it would become over time all by itself.

So right now I am in a bit of stalemate as to what to do. I've exhausted Google, or myself ;), and so now I am here posting for your help. Not something I like to do unless I am at wits end.

I am suspicious that it has something to do with the fact that the cards are SLi'ed together. I haven't found any settings in the bios that let me adjust this. I would, however, appreciate information on how to back up my installation to easily bring it back to a usable state so I can quit wasting time reinstalling after my failures.

So... if anyone out there has the answer or can guide me through this know that I love you. Oh, and I am currently on a fairly fresh install right now and have not attempted to try again yet. I have however updated everything else that needed to be updated.
Last edited by punkthink on Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
punkthink
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Nvidia drivers won't work

Postby DrHu on Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:01 pm

punkthink wrote:I've reinstalled Mint 3 times now due to this though EnvyNG wasn't so bad due to making it easy to uninstall the drivers by typing envyng -t.

I believe Envy-NG wants to remove the distribution supplied files for video before installing its own pulled in set (from nvidia)
--which can sometimes be a problem, as the original drivers may still be in the system (it essentially depends on how good that envy script is at fixing up the system, there isn't any great way to know )

If it was me, I would remove one of the Nvidia cards, to see if an installation of the OS works for setting up only one nvdia 9800 graphics card
    Or if there are any problems, before messing in SLI modes..

Nvidia SLI, supported hardware ..
http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_ecosystem.html

Ubuntu help, nvidia..issues
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/common-proble ... grade.html
http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.p ... 25415.html
Possibly, post 5..
Last edited by DrHu on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby punkthink on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:13 pm

Thank you very much for the links DrHu and your time. I am going to try installing straight from Nvidia and add the Option "SLI" "Auto" to xorg.conf first. Luckily they mention also to add --uninstall to the end of the installer which is very helpful in case things don't work out. If this don't work I will try the one card at a time route.

I'll report back on this. Thanks again.
punkthink
Level 1
Level 1

Postby punkthink on Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:23 pm

Ok. Editing xorg for SLI did not work for me. So I uninstalled the drivers (190.42 x64 from Nvidia's site) shut down, removed one card, rebooted, reinstalled (same drivers), restarted and viola! working like a charm. Now to read up on it a lil bit more and see if I can throw the other card into the mix. But it's good to know that I can at least have one working fine. I'll post my results as soon as possible on the second card. Thanks again DrHu.

EDIT::Well, no luck so far in getting it to play nice with both cards in. I did find a pretty good guide on it here --> http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=52953
Hope this helps someone out there... I'll search more and think on it more but I'll give it a break for a little bit. Time to focus on my sound and getting my webcam working.
If anyone gets any further information on SLI or actually gets it running let me know please. Hopefully I won't have to post for my remaining issues.
punkthink
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED]Nvidia drivers won't work... running SLI [SOLVED]

Postby punkthink on Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:04 am

Well just want to say that I am happily running SLI no problem now.
Section "Monitor"
    Identifier     "Monitor0"
    VendorName     "Unknown"
    ModelName      "Unknown"
    HorizSync       28.0 - 33.0
    VertRefresh     43.0 - 72.0
    Option         "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier     "Device0"
    Driver         "nvidia"
    BusId          "01:00:0"
    VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "SLI" "On"
    Option         "MultiGPU" "On"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Kinda funny how simple it is really once you know what to do. Under Section "Device" in your xorg.conf, you simply add the BusId of one of your cards. You can find this out by slapping
lspci | grep -i vga

into the terminal. However, using lspci | grep -i vga you will notice that your BusId
~ $ lspci | grep -i vga
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 9800 GT (rev a2)
0a:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GeForce 9800 GT (rev a2)

contains a colon after the first couple of characters, followed by a period after the next couple. When you edit your /etc/X11/xorg.conf they must BOTH be colons [ : ]. No periods in there. Like this . . .
BusId          "01:00:0"

Seriously, that's all that needs to be done to get your GUI back up. After adding that bit of code and saving xorg, type
startx

into the the term and yer in the clear. From here you can also enable sli and multigpu by invoking
nvidia-xconfig --sli=On

and

nvidia-xconfig --multigpu=On

For a full list of options just slap

nvidia-xconfig -A

in there.

Be aware that if you change anything with nvidia-xconfig it will undo your BusId that you placed in xorg.conf. So head in there before you reboot and put it back or you will be without a GUI until you do.
punkthink
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions