Question about setting up swap file during installation.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Question about setting up swap file during installation.

Postby miteymitey on Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:33 pm

How do I properly handle setting up a "swap" partition during a Linux Mint installation from Live CD? I've tried it with no mount point, I've tried it by typing "swap" into the mount point entry line. Neither works. When I try it with nothing in mount point I get warnings that without a mount point the partition will not be used by the OS and that the OS requires a swap file and that I haven't established one. All the other partitions seem to be OK, though I haven't been able to complete the install because of the "swap" partition problem. I know the OS needs a swap file to work properly, but I can't figure out how to get it in there.
Thank you for your help.
DIY Desktop.
miteymitey
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Question about setting up swap file during installation.

Postby richyrich on Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:49 pm

When you are choosing the size of the swap space, choose "swap" as the "file system" , (you know, the drop down list where you can choose ext3 or ext4), and leave the mount point blank. :)
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Question about setting up swap file during installation.

Postby miteymitey on Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:24 pm

Thank You.
DIY Desktop.
miteymitey
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions