Will Mint support SiS 672 Video Chipset?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Will Mint support SiS 672 Video Chipset?

Postby sweetld on Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:13 am

Hi,

Background

I am a total newbie to Linux in general and definitely to Mint. I have been using Windows from version 3.0 to Vista and also spent some time with OS/2 and Windows NT in my time.

I have long thought that I should get to grips with Linux, however it always seemed as though I would need to invest a hell of a lot of time to get it installed, configured and working with everything that I needed just to get going and I simply did not feel that I had the time!

Now though, with distributions such as Mint, it's looking a lot more accessible, so I am looking into it.

My Question:

I only have a basic Advent Laptop, with an inbuilt video chipset, the SiS 672 Series Mirage 3. This works OK with Vista, providing 1280 x 800 and supporting an external screen at a higher resolution than this. I have been looking for a Linux based driver, but have not been able to find one, so it looks as though I would be stuck with a resolution no better than 800 x 600...

Is this true, or am I missing something here?? (Also from the little I have seen, it's not that easy to install a new video driver under Linux. Is that also true for Mint?)

Any help, links and advice gratefully received! :D

Thanks for reading. Regards.
sweetld
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Will Mint support SiS 672 Video Chipset?

Postby Husse on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:48 am

Well the SIS graphics are and always (?) have been rather problematic under any OS I have tested, don't know why
The driver, called xserver-xorg-video-sis, is installed by default and is not the best but sure works OK and there should be no problem providing 1280 x 1024
However 1200 x 800 is a bit odd and it may not like that resolution but I can't see no reason that it should not work
Oh - at first I did not realize that you had installed - thought you were asking for general advice
There is no better driver for your chip - we have to do a little bit of editing
Code: Select all
gksu gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

In
Section "Screen"
add
Modes "1200x800"
Save and reboot
You should have 1200x800 now
It's not difficult to "install" a new graphics driver especially for ATI and nvidia but also for the rest (except possibly Intel - it's so well integrated that it becomes difficult :))
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Will Mint support SiS 672 Video Chipset?

Postby mcurran on Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:59 pm

Husse is right, and if that doesn't seem to be working, remove any other instances of resolution on that same Modes line. I believe the rightmost entry will always be the one used. I fix this issue by only putting my preferred resolution in each Modes Line.

Section "Screen"
DefaultDepth 24
Identifier "Screen[0]"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1280x1024"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1280x1024"

ETC... ETC...
IBM IntelliStation Z Pro [6227-ACU]