Mint and Ubuntu boot PPA

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Mint and Ubuntu boot PPA

Postby klhtaar on Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:11 am

Hello everyone! I've just migrated to Mint 8 RC1 from Ubuntu Karmic. I really enjoy using Mint. I have only one question that bothers me a lot: in Karmic I added Ubuntu boot PPA and it significantly boosted boot time on my old machine. So should I add it in Mint too or Mint team already have made some improvements that could potentially conflict?

Here is a topic about Boot PPA: http://www.ubuntugeek.com/ubuntu-tip-increase-your-boot-times-with-ubuntu-boot-in-karmic.html
klhtaar
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint and Ubuntu boot PPA

Postby Husse on Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:03 pm

I don't think adding some help to get a faster boot would be harmful, but I think Helena/Karmic boots very fast by default
However you are recommended to do "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" to get it
That's
A) A stupid way to install something - it makes me wonder about the knowledge of the author
B) Not recommended as that updates/grades everything and with the wrong repositories it can be detrimental
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby klhtaar on Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:29 pm

Btw, it really did the trick, on my old laptop with 512Mb RAM running Ubuntu it knocked off about 15sec of boot time. I can tell you Helena is booting way too slow on this laptop (I don't know why), that's why I'm asking (actually, I /was/ asking, because I upgraded Helena with this repo and "she's" OK).

Also:
A) Dist-upgrade is a stupid way to upgrade existing packages?! Why?
B) Ubuntu Boot Team PPA on launchpad isn't wrong repo at all.
klhtaar
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:24 pm

Not a stupid way to upgrade but a stupid way to install - I may have misuderstood but I thought this installed something
The part about the danger with the wrong repos was just a warning, but you will update/upgrade everything including dangerous parts like the kernel - there is a good reason mintUpdate has levels
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby klhtaar on Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:33 pm

Thanks for advice! Anyways I'm planning to reinstall Helena when the final release will be available, so RC really is my testing ground ;)
klhtaar
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lantesh on Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:54 pm

Husse wrote:The part about the danger with the wrong repos was just a warning, but you will update/upgrade everything including dangerous parts like the kernel - there is a good reason mintUpdate has levels

My understanding is it is in fact a different kernel that gets installed from this PPA, which would be the reason for the dist upgrade.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Husse on Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:53 am

Oh - I did not check that much what it really was, but if that's the case......
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions