Wifi range problems in Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Wifi range problems in Mint

Postby stumcfc on Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:53 am

Hi all,

FIrst of all, i'm a new to MInt and LInux in general. Absolutely love it, and not missing WIndows in the slightest!

The only problem im having is with my wireless internet connection. For some reason, everytime my signal strength drops below around 70%, my connection dies. If I walk with the laptop towards the router, it comes back.

I've never had this problem with windows before, and i've also tried Ubuntu and openSUSE before settling on Mint, and both of these didnt have the issues with the wifi.

The driver in use appears to be the same one used by the other 2 distros, rtl8187.

Can anyone offer any advice? I really want to stick with MInt, but might have to rethink if I cant get the wireless stable...

Cheers
stumcfc
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Wifi range problems in Mint

Postby Petlyn on Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:39 am

stumcfc wrote:Hi all,

The only problem im having is with my wireless internet connection. For some reason, everytime my signal strength drops below around 70%, my connection dies. If I walk with the laptop towards the router, it comes back.

Hi.

There has been many forum discussions regarding this problem, I too have the problem and its a 'pain in the butt', and everything I have tried which was recommended by the Guru's has drawn a blank. I download quite a bit and when I loose the connection I have to reboot, I would feel a lot happier if you could just reconnect without having to reboot but alas no it doesn't want to know.

I fully understand your feeling about reverting to windows but let's wait eh and see if somebody comes up with a 'working' suggestion Mint is great and besides the users are the best as well and always trying to help.

Good luck with OUR problem.

Fingers crossed.
Petlyn
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wifi range problems in Mint

Postby stumcfc on Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:47 pm

Downloaded MInt 8 out of curiosity to see if the wireless problem disappeared....it appears to work now!

Not had a disconnection in 2 hrs since I installed, and I can connect even on low signals in various parts of the house that I couldnt do before.
stumcfc
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions