I need some help with Partitioning Mint 7? (PLEASE!!!)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

I need some help with Partitioning Mint 7? (PLEASE!!!)

Postby Mitchyitch on Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:48 am

Hi there. :)

If you're reading this, I'd just like to say, thanks for clicking here! I'm new to these Forums, and it really means a lot to me!

Anyway, the problem:

My (very cool) friend lent me a couple of Linux CD's, like DSL, Puppy, and all these other random ones which were "Meh", but it wasn't until I saw Mint, until I truly fell in love.

So, I tried it out, tried all the features, and realised that my first instinct was right; I did love it, and I wanted it to be a permanent addition to my computer. But, how, I ask. That's the problem.

I'm trying to Install it with the "Install" icon thingy on the desktop. It all goes sweet, until the "Prepare Partitions" screen. It gets a bit tricky there.

So, any help with what to do once I come to this screen, or...anything would help. I'll post extra information if you'd like...but...Thanks! :D
Mitchyitch
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: I need some help with Partitioning Mint 7? (PLEASE!!!)

Postby reaZon on Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:50 am

you can choose to let the mint install itself automatically using the first option,or alternatively you can choose the advanced installation.but you have to take care of a few things.
mark the "mount point" of the partition you want to install Mint on as "/" as for any other linux distro.a default mint installation takes about 2.5 gigs.so take care of the size. i have it 23 gigs.
mark another partition as "swap space".a good practice for the size this partiotion is twice as much as your RAM.
reaZon
Level 2
Level 2

Postby garda on Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:00 am

There should be a copy of the Official User Guide on the disc -- it's a PDF file, if I remember it correctly. Or simply download it from the official server:
Code: Select all
http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/stable/7/user-guide/english.pdf

Drive partitioning stage is covered on pages 15-17.
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Postby GrayWizardLinux on Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:04 am

I always do the normal install because I just don't get it. I have never had a problem doing it this way. I must say it has gotten better in mint 7 but I still don't understand it at all....try the easier basic default mode - you will be happy. Welcome!
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions