Lacking the proper terminology to diagnose crashes

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Lacking the proper terminology to diagnose crashes

Postby jamie on Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:54 am

I'm still calling myself a newbie since I don't have the vocabulary to search the forums for assistance with my problem.

My system started crashing yesterday every time I need to save a file I've edited in GIMP or try to upload a file to Facebook, Flickr, Picnik, etc. What I initially thought must be a problem with GIMP I now think must be a problem with whatever you call that process of opening up a dialogue to locate or save a file. Happens from every browser, OpenOffice, LyX, and GIMP. As soon as I click 'Save As...' or 'Upload' the whole system freezes up.

Thanks to anyone who can help me with the language (or solve the problem, I guess!)
Jamie
jamie
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Lacking the proper terminology to diagnose crashes

Postby DrHu on Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:05 pm

jamie wrote:Thanks to anyone who can help me with the language (or solve the problem, I guess!)
(or solve the problem, I guess!)..
I doubt that can happen..
More context needed:hardware, software

Which desktop, Mint version: desktop is Kde ( mint4win/VM) or Gnome
In terminal, check
    inxi -F
    --short list of all detected hardware
    /var/log
    Code: Select all
    kern.log
    syslog
    user.log
    Xorg.0.log

--you can use mint menu>Control center>System>log file viewer, to look for any anomalities..
    dmesg, as a quick check
Crash detection, debug..
In terminal, check
Code: Select all
apt search crash
p   crash                           - kernel debugging utility, allowing gdb lik
p   crash-whitepaper                - Whitepaper for crash kernel debugging util
p   crashmail                       - JAM and *.MSG capable Fidonet tosser
p   crashme                         - Stress tests operating system stability
p   konqueror-plugin-crashes        - Crash monitor plugin for konqueror
p   linux-crashdump                 - Linux kernel crashdump setup for the late

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=383347
--also use http://www.lanunchpad.net and search for crash reports related to your situation

jamie wrote: Happens from every browser, OpenOffice, LyX, and GIMP. As soon as I click 'Save As...' or 'Upload' the whole system freezes up.
If it is as you say everything crashed, the easiest method since the OS now seems totally borked for some reason, reinstall a fresh copy of Linux mint
    If it is version Linux Mint 8 you are using, you can expect problems while it gets shook out before the RC stable version is available..
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Return to Newbie Questions